Speaker impedances - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2001, 07:35 AM   #1
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
I am in the process of building a speaker system. I have a 1 inch dome tweeter and 8 inch woofer. The woofer's impedance is 4 ohm while the tweeter's impedance is 8 ohm. Now, when building speakers, should the impedances of all drivers match or can they be different since I plan to bi-wire them. I do not want to spend money for another woofer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 28th July 2001, 04:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Vivek,
No, they don't have to be the same, however, keep in mind that the load presented to your amp will vary with frequency. Neglecting the effect of the passive crossover, you'll be getting a 4 ohm load within the woofer's operating range, and 8 ohm whilst the tweeter is handling the sonic duties.

Grey
Old 28th July 2001, 04:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
They can be different. When you build the crossover, the impedence should be input to the correct calcultion to determine the crossover point for each driver. If you are using bi-amping, it shouldn't be any trouble. If they were used in parallel, I'm sure the total impedence would drop.
Sounds like you'll be ok w/ your setup.
Old 28th July 2001, 06:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys.
Old 28th July 2001, 11:00 PM   #5
blmn is offline blmn  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Vivek,

No problems about diffrent impedances in your case, but be aware of the mid range response of your system because you are using a reasonable large woofer and a little tweeter.

Regards,

blmn
Old 29th July 2001, 06:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks again blmn.
Old 29th July 2001, 10:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

(I'm glad blmn said that, so that I didn't have to. I managed to start a small riot by saying essentially the same thing in another thread and was trying to avoid doing the same thing here...)

Grey
Old 30th July 2001, 02:55 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Actually, I was on-line the same time you were, Grey. I only noticed you answered before me when I hit submit. I saw what that other clown wrote in the threads, don't sweet that guy. Your answers are productive.
Old 30th July 2001, 06:45 PM   #9
blmn is offline blmn  Brazil
diyAudio Member

GRollins,

It is a very commmon problem for us loudspeakers dyers when we are trying to conciliate good bass response, size, wife desire and cost.

I always use 6" or 5" midbass when Im designing 2 way boxes. Its very hard to obtain 8" drivers with good mid range response.

vdi_nenna,

About productive answers and clowns, a productive answer is not comment this kind of ********.

Regards
Old 30th July 2001, 07:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

BLMN, I wasn't referring to your thread. I was referring to something else; I should have said something then, but I didn't.

And you're right, so I won't say anything about your current lesson on forum conduct to me, especially since you don't know what I'm talking about.

[Edited by vdi_nenna on 07-30-2001 at 02:52 PM]

Hide this!Advertise here!