Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2004, 05:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 300 Gb ???

i got a K7SEM mother board with 1.2 AMD athlon ... so its time to upgrade to better HD so will my motherboard recognize the 300 GB HD ? if not whats the max ?
Old 26th December 2004, 06:22 PM   #2
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't just partitioning the hd do? Is there anyone out there that doesn't partition his or her hd? Great fun defraging 300 gigs.
Old 27th December 2004, 06:00 AM   #3
Jean is offline Jean  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jean
Check for latest BIOS...some boards coudn't go that high before. If anything you can always add a controller card in a PCI slot that can detect full drive.
Old 27th December 2004, 06:24 AM   #4
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Quote:
Originally posted by phn
Wouldn't just partitioning the hd do? Is there anyone out there that doesn't partition his or her hd? Great fun defraging 300 gigs.

If it's the BIOS that's the problem, partitioning won't help.
Old 27th December 2004, 07:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

With that older motherboard, it probably doesn't support 48-bit LBA, which is controlled by the BIOS, which means you would have a limit of ~137GB.

Because of this, and my Athlon system is probably close to the age of yours, I went with a 120GB HDD and it worked great.

My system is 4 yrs old, and started with a 900 Athlon before I upgraded to an Athlon XP1800+ (1.53Ghz) and overclocked it to 1.7Ghz, all with the same motherboard. I figured since you have a 1.2 your system is probably a few years old as well, and probably won't handle the new larger drives.
Old 27th December 2004, 10:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Just get a couple of 160gb instead, should be cheaper too.
Old 28th December 2004, 07:54 AM   #7
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
i got a K7SEM mother board with 1.2 AMD athlon ...
If the bios accepts it you may still run into trouble with the OS you want to install so partitioning may be needed and is in all cases advisable to keep things "manageable".

There used to be overlay files available from disk manufacturers that translated disk parameters into something the bios accepted but I've no idea if those would work with 300Gb as well.
That stuff used to be arounf ten years ago though but if all else fails and seeing the CPU and MB aren't exactly young either...

Here's a link to the guys that invented the idea:

DISKMANAGER

Cheers,

P.S. With a little luck free software to similar effect as described above may be availble from your HD manufacturer.

Hide this!Advertise here!