Test tones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Have you considered making your own CD?

A freeware sine wave generator is available at www.satsignal.net. You can make your files from that, (with a little cable).

Also, you really should test the frequency response of your sound card-very easy and quick to do using RightMark freeware. Even a great sound card can have bad frequency response if it was not installed well. Use RightMark and know for sure.
audio.rightmark.org

You will need a stereo 1/8" to 1/8", (walkman-to-walkman), plug. Available Radio Shack or most anywhere for two or three bucks.

Might be fun.

I'v had WinISD for a few years now but I never knew it had a signal generator. And personally, dont download the pro, it had a lot of errors especially with inputting speakers parameters, but they might have fixed it now.

Thanks for NCH,

So can I just hook up my extigy to my amp and play some of the test tones and that way I can see where I should cross my speakers over? and all that?

Is that the best way?

and thanks again, That software is really easy and works well, just they way I like it

Joined 2001
Basically, yes, although I would run the RMAA software first to make sure my sound card had a nice smooth frequency response.

Mine had a horrible response, and when I reinstalled the driver it came out great. So test with RMAA.

You can run the signal to your amp.

Or, (I am unfamiliar with the Extigy, but it sounds expensive), if you have one watt or four watt SPEAKER OUT jacks, run cables from your sound card to your speakers direct.

As far as telling you where to cross over, you probably want a good microphone for that. The elements are available cheap from digi-key.

well what what I was going to do was run the sine waves though my sound card to my amp and play the tones through lets say the tweeters, play the test tones and test with a decibel meter (Radioshack) the "loudness", I keep the volume as a constant, then play the woofers though the amp with similar tones and measure with the meter, whichever speaker played a note louder will play the note in the crossover, I will also record the way the note sounded to my ears. I'm also going to take room acoustics into account.

This was going to be more of a loudspeaker question, but my room has dips a 40hz and 100hz, larger at 40hz. I'm going to build my first speakers soon, should I tune the box to my room and tune the box to 40hz? I'm going to use the new WR125

thanks,

Josh

Joined 2001
Here is a page which gives the readings for the output of three different Radio Shack SPL meters. Not just the modifications, but the readings as to how the SPL meter performs right out of the box. So if you want to go up to 20kHz, you can do it with some degree of accuracy.

http://www.gti.net/wallin/audio/audio.html

I should point out that since this post, there have been a lot of threads started about the CSS wr125 in the loudspeakers section. You might want to check some of them out.

Joined 2001
edjosh23 said:

This was going to be more of a loudspeaker question, but my room has dips a 40hz and 100hz, larger at 40hz. I'm going to build my first speakers soon, should I tune the box to my room and tune the box to 40hz? I'm going to use the new WR125

thanks,

Josh

Sounds to me like something that would make a good thread by itself in the Loudspeakers section. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.