My DIY Rack project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2004, 08:05 AM   #1
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Default My DIY Rack project

Hi all,

Here's a project I've been thinking about for some months. A basic drawing with some dimentions was laying on my desktop, untill I discovered the Povray software and and wanted to have a preview of my project.

Here's the description:
Every stage is made of a wood plate and a glass plate(you can use granite too!). They will certainly be deboupled with squash balls (not shown on the picture)
Like TNT's Flexy Rack, the stages are fastened with threaded steel bars.

I'll try to post a better picture, when I'll be able to render something more realistic.

Any Povray experts here? www.povray.org if you're interested.

Do you like it?

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meuble.jpg (18.0 KB, 835 views)
Old 21st December 2004, 08:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

That turned out really nice
Old 21st December 2004, 11:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you
Old 21st December 2004, 11:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Any suggestion or recommendation?
Old 22nd December 2004, 09:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I thought that you guys would give me some advice or some ideas...

Is my project so perfect that there's nothing more to improve? I don't think so!
Old 22nd December 2004, 09:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Bricolo,

looks are really nice but I wouldn´t use glass to put the equipment on. There´s almost no damping and many components tend to react to this (no I won´t say that they sound some way "glassy" )
Maybe you could use macrolon or acrylic plates for this?

William
Old 22nd December 2004, 10:36 AM   #7
DIAR is offline DIAR  Finland
diyAudio Member

Why use any shelfs?

http://www.finite-elemente.de/e,,pro...,features.html

http://www.solid-tech.net/products/rack.htm
Old 22nd December 2004, 10:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wuffwaff
Hi Bricolo,

looks are really nice but I wouldn´t use glass to put the equipment on. There´s almost no damping and many components tend to react to this (no I won´t say that they sound some way "glassy" )
Maybe you could use macrolon or acrylic plates for this?

William

Is granite better?
Old 22nd December 2004, 11:56 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is granite better?
Hi Bricolo

IME experience granite is as bad as it gets. Most stones have a strong intrinsic sound due to resonance, high mass and parallel sides. The only exception i can think of is slate but it also requires attention. Some people absolutely love the strong resonating bass which granite imposes upon everything so it's pterry much a question of taste.

There is some truth in the claim that the best stand is shelfless as it deals well with air-borne vibrations but structural vibrations affect it as much as normal stands and you still need some way of isolating components.

Without criticising your design it appears to provide good coupling between shelves and supporting pillars but minimal isolation. In this case you need to individually isolate each component which works but is quite painful to achieve.

A simple, yet effective shelf design is a constrained layer sandwich, similar to Simposium. Central to this is polyethylene closed cell foam in the mid layer which behaves similarly to an air bladder. I use foam with 45kg/m3 which appears suitable for medium heavy loads. On both sides of the 15mm foam core i have layers of baltic birch/pvc and thin (1mm) alu. This platform provides very good isolation, comparable to an air bladder without the bladder annoyances. Combining materials with different density and resonances pretty much removes any audible signature. Even reducing the number of layers to three still provides most of the benefits.

To use a constrained layer platform with a stand of your design you have to make sure that the vertical pillars are only bolted to the bottom layer of the platform, otherwise you'll lose most of the isolation.
Old 22nd December 2004, 01:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi,

You're right, there's a strong coupling between the metal pillars and the wood shelves. But the wood and glass shelves are decoupled with squash balls. Isn't this ok?

Bolting the shelves only under them would lead to a unstable rack, except if I strongly bold the top and bottom shelves at both sides.

Your "sandwich" would replace the wood, wouldn't it? And what would you advice in place of the glass?

Thanks
Alex

Hide this!Advertise here!