Recording below 300 hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A psychic friend of mine, as ask me for information about recording
onto his laptop, sound frequency of 300 - 500 hz ,this as you will
know is below human hearing capacitiy and is the frequency, "so say the psychic world say " of ghosts. Im a mere C++ programmer and this is beyond my knowlege, So thanking you in advance for any input ....

300-500 ought to come over the telephone even. That isn't even a solid bass note. That is higher than middle C on a piano. The hum you hear when your audio systems are not well grounded (earthed) is 50 or 60Hz, and you can sure hear that, even when you don't want to.

So to answer the question, ANY audio recording technique should capture that range easily.

Ahhh... I'm *such* a treasure-trove of useful information tonight.

Enzo said:
300-500 ought to come over the telephone even. *snip* That is higher than middle C on a piano.

Yeah. A above middle C is 440.000000000000 Hz.
Or to be more precise, 440.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Hz.

Let you in on a secret... :shhh: GHz actually means GhostHertz, named after the late Herr Heinrich,
:RIP: :skull: :scared: :yikes: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

Recording Infra-Sound

Can someone please inform me what Infra-sound is,what range it is, how to record it and play it back with computer software .
Is there computer software avilable, Soundforge, wavelab etc or will it be necessary for me to write a bespoke program
what is it measured in, Hz ? etc, if that isn`t enough questioning,
just one more, is there a programable voice activated microphone
on the market.
This is for a research project called advanced E.V.P
"Electronic Voice Phenomena" Recording.
Thanking anyone who replys in-advance.. Stephen.

Infra sound is to sound as infra red is to light. It refers to sound energy below human hearing. I don't know what its official boundaries are, but I would have to assume under 20Hz.

Seems to me that sound energy at low frequencies can have psychoacoustic effects. I have heard that loud 14Hz sound can invoke feelings of fear or at least uneasiness. or something like that.

Like any othre sound, to record it you need a transducer to detect it - a microphone or whatever - and a recording system that will respond that low. Many sound systems purposely have low cut filters to remove extra low frequency signal, since in music there isn;t anything there, but that is the home of stage noises, turntable rumble, etc. Make sure there are no low cuts in your system. Even so, recording 10 or 12Hz might be tough. I am thinking digital might even be better than analog for this. Unless the software gets in the way.

Voice operated mics are referred to as VOX. VOX meanign voice operated. Communications systems use this. It was a common enough feature on CB radios back when. Look through MArkertek for stuff like that used in the broadcast industry. Usually it is not the mic itself - I can't think of one anyway - but something you connect the mic to. Again, if you are looking for something to pick up infrasound, make sure the VOX will respond that low.

It has actually been demonstrated that infrasound production in certain older building through air movement through hallways that act like a sound generator - resonance ? - can produce exactly those "ghostly" feelings. The sound produced reaches right down to 2 Hz to to somewhere around 8Hz if I recall correctly.

This was a production between discovery channel and the bbc some years ago - and this for me put to rest any further speculation about "ghostly phenomena" - together with some canadian experiments that clearly could stimulate the brain by applying very tiny modulated magnetic fields outside the head to perceive all manner of seeing things and feeling things - like sudden drop in temp. , perceiving ghostly appearances with the accompanying dread/expectation etc. Even the perception of contact with a higher being - god - could be achieved.

Thank you for yor reply, So soon, I have actually recorded voiced
responce to questions , ie how many physical entitys are there
in the room, reply 4 "correct", myself two colleagues and a dog.
whats the colour of the dog, white "correct" and when I ask for the time, we recoreded 10:38 "correct" so I feel more investigation is warranted . All this on a cheap digital recorder.

I have heard that high levels of the correct low frequency can cause loss of bowel control. ( the brown noise ) Perfaps this is why those who have suposedly seen ghosts #### them selves.

Seriously recording anything below 20HZ is very difficult just getting a microphone to go that low would be a big ask.

lesaint said:
Thank you for yor reply, So soon, I have actually recorded voiced
responce to questions , ie how many physical entitys are there
in the room, reply 4 "correct", myself two colleagues and a dog.
whats the colour of the dog, white "correct" and when I ask for the time, we recoreded 10:38 "correct" so I feel more investigation is warranted . All this on a cheap digital recorder.

You mean something in the room actually spoke words to you :confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.