Laptop Computer Touchpad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
- Sony Vaio laptop computer, Model No. PCG-F430.
- The problem is the touchpad does not work.
- I recently noticed that the touchpad does work at turn on. After it's on for more than an hour, the touchpad does not work.
- External mouse connected to the laptop always works.

Any idea how to fix the problem? Thanks.

Have you tested under any other operating systems to rule out the possibility of a driver or OS problem? I don't know if it has support for your Vaio's touchpad, but you might try booting off a Gentoo LiveCD or something of the like and see if you still have the problem. Otherwise, I'd suggest...

- Get whatever driver updates you can for the touchpad and chipset (you might check for any associated Windows updates as well).
- Disable any background/startup software.
- Disable whatever power management you can.
- Detach any other peripherals.
- If the laptop has a fan, make sure it is coming on at some point (if the unit isn't able to vent properly, some touchpad-related component may be overheating and failing)

If you're comfortable with it, you might crack the case open and make sure all the connections leading in to the touchpad are secure and unbroken. I presume the unit is out of warranty anyway, otherwise you'd be asking Sony these questions, but if you're going to go that route, find some instructions somewhere on how to get it apart, as they can be fairly fragile.

I have tried disabling the power management and disconnecting all the peripherals and I'm quite sure that the fan is turning on at the appropriate time. It's not improving. In fact, another obervation I noticed is that the touchpad input gives jumpy cursor movements when the laptop is warming up (< 1hour on). After it's on for a couple hours, the cursor can only move horizontally, if at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.