Those Non-oversampling jerks - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2004, 05:47 PM   #1
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
Default Those Non-oversampling jerks

Hey, I have this new and fresh idea! Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a discussion on the digital forum about an oversampling DAC, without those dreadful boring jerks swooping and and pasting in the same &#$^*& screed about how much better non-oversampling is? How novel that would be!

It's not just that these ignorant philistines bore me, with their obviously inferior paleolithic DAC designs. But I also think it's damn rude to come in to EVERY SINGLE *&^%%&*^ THREAD and make it into an argument about oversampling.

So I propose this simple rule: nobody should enter a thread with a completely off-topic proposal about non-oversampling. If I post a thread such as "What do you think of this I/V converter?" I don't want to see ANY postings about how much better it would be if it was just a simple resistor on a NonOS TDA1541, because NonOS makes the sun shine and the birds sing and also transcends every know theory of information. No! I say! Keep it to yourselves, unless the thread really is about oversampling.
Old 28th November 2004, 06:12 PM   #2
Wodgy is offline Wodgy  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Wodgy
I agree, it would be nice if there were more discussion of traditional DAC designs here.
Old 28th November 2004, 06:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
But shouldn't this thread be in Digital, so all those jerks know what's expected from them?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 28th November 2004, 06:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Jwb, If you want to, open that thread!

If you put a similar disclaimer in the first post, then if anyone breaks the rules just contact a mod and they will move stuff out for you.

Only please phrase it a little more politely
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 28th November 2004, 06:51 PM   #5
Banned

At least he didn't threaten to smack them in the face like someone else would.

Guess he knows that I will do it for him. [joke]

Jocko
Old 28th November 2004, 07:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

It is always good to see fresh ideas ( regardless if they sound good or not ). It is even more interesting to compare "fresh" ( which meaning is relative ) DAC designs/ideas to the obviously inferior paleolithic DAC designs you mention.

However the tone of your post could be better, it is on the edge of the acceptable ( IMO it crosses it but I won't spoil the fun ). The pot and the kettle, remember ?
Old 28th November 2004, 07:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes, state it in a PC way and then later you can have me and Jocko doin' the facesmacking if (when) the need arise.

/Magnus
Old 28th November 2004, 07:43 PM   #8
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

sorry dude, non-oversampling DACs sound better.

See, when you're listening to a CD through an oversampling DAC, the signal gets completely ruined - all the music above 22.05KHz gets cut off.

Not only that, you're eliminating that sweet mellow zero-order-hold sinc response... and that wonderful tube-like, natural sound of intermodulation occuring as your tweeters attempt to play 40KHz material...

Old 28th November 2004, 08:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If I'm not mistaken there is no sound content above 22.0KHz on a
CD. It all get aliased to fequencies below 22.05KHz.
Old 28th November 2004, 08:49 PM   #10
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Default Re: Those Non-oversampling jerks

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
Originally posted by jwb
Hey, I have this new and fresh idea! Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a discussion on the digital forum about an oversampling DAC, without those dreadful boring jerks swooping and and pasting in the same &#$^*& screed about how much better non-oversampling is? How novel that would be!

It's not just that these ignorant philistines bore me, with their obviously inferior paleolithic DAC designs. But I also think it's damn rude to come in to EVERY SINGLE *&^%%&*^ THREAD and make it into an argument about oversampling.
Hmm, you know , I have this new and fresh idea! Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a discussion on the digital forum about any sort of DAC without some religious fanatics asserting that "That Way" was the wrong way to make DAC's?

Like "without those dreadful boring jerks swooping and and pasting in the same &#$^*& screed about how much better non-oversampling/oversampling/upsamling/lewsampling/cr@psampling is? How novel that would be!"?

Like without some jerks assering that non-oversampling DAC's are "obviously inferior paleolithic DAC designs." (anyway, how is that so, in any relevant factual way, please support such assertations with facts)?

Like without some jerk calling all that disagree with him "ignorant philistines [that] bore me"?

Like without continously rudely butting in, UNASKED, with their non-topical remarks how what would make a Non-Os DAC really great is a Digital Filter?

Quote:
Originally posted by jwb
So I propose this simple rule: nobody should enter a thread with a completely off-topic proposal about non-oversampling.
Why be sectarian and prejudicial about it? Why only prohibt off-topic (in your view) posts when they disagree with YOUR particular prejudices and preferences? How about making it a general rule?

Please forgive me for mentioning, but if someone wants other to conform to a code of behaviour he himself blatantly breaks we call that one a Hypocrite. Whom the cap fits and all....

Sayonara

PS, on a level setting I have yet to hear anything outperform a well implemented Non Oversampling TDA1541, but that is merely my experience and observation, which carries no particular claim to being universal, but I do expect better from ANYONE (especially those who prefer theory to practice) than to be called a boring philistine jerk, well same to you buddy.

Hide this!Advertise here!