What cable for internal wiring?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

What cable would you chose for internal signal wiring and why?

A twisted pair of PTFE insulated pure (4N or better) Ag SOLID CORE 0.4 mm (or 0.5mm) wires.
Also excellent FEP as a dielectricum iso PTFE.
Haven't found a source for foamed (extruded a la Gore) Ag wire yet but that should be great for very low level sources such as headamps (MC) or low level phonoboards.

Why?

Because it sounds better than anything else I've tried so far.

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:

A twisted pair of PTFE insulated pure (4N or better) Ag SOLID CORE 0.4 mm (or 0.5mm) wires.
Also excellent FEP as a dielectricum iso PTFE.
Haven't found a source for foamed (extruded a la Gore) Ag wire yet but that should be great for very low level sources such as headamps (MC) or low level phonoboards.
I only got the sizes mentioned above, all solid core 4N.
Twisted pair like one for signal and one for ground or 2 for signal and 2 for ground?
What is PTFE?

thanks!

Hi

I use solid core 0,5mm coper wire, so if you realy want to spend your money on silver go for the 0,5mm.

PTFE is the abreviation for Poli tetra fluoro ethylene, known as teflon by the average bloke... An expensive dielectric material, not very important on sigle cable runs.

Anyway, use single core untwisted wire. Save money, use Cu ;)

Why?

You wont hear the diference, but it wil cost you more.
When you start woring with cables and Cu Vs Ag, you are going the wrong way. :)

Cheers

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Twisted pair like one for signal and one for ground or 2 for signal and 2 for ground?

Just one for signal, one for ground.
Be ware of the added capacitance created by the twisting, this can make for a HF filter in conjunction with the input impedance of the next stage.

What is PTFE?

Polytetra fluor ethylene AKA Teflon (Dupont De Nemours TM) is an excellent dielectricum second to air only. Extruded PTFE is slightly better on the DA scale as it contains airbubbles.

I only got the sizes mentioned above, all solid core 4N.

Enjoy.:cool:

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:

Just one for signal, one for ground.
Be ware of the added capacitance created by the twisting, this can make for a HF filter in conjunction with the input impedance of the next stage.

Polytetra fluor ethylene AKA Teflon (Dupont De Nemours TM) is an excellent dielectricum second to air only. Extruded PTFE is slightly better on the DA scale as it contains airbubbles.
COOL
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So, the 0.5mm is enough? Even better
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

So, the 0.5mm is enough?

For hook-up wire it should be.

The reason I suggested using twisted pairs is simply because it shields against EMI fields and it's easier to control (measure) stray capacitances than it is to measure inductances.

You may not need to use twisted pairs. Much depends on your circuit layout, application and so on but we're not designing for RF transmitters so you'd be fine without twisting most of the time.

Should you go for the twisted pair, try to use one colour for each conductor.
That way you don't need to sort out polarity issues with an ohmmeter....Mistakes are easy enough to make already.

You wont hear the diference, but it wil cost you more.

I suppose you mean well but I OTOH do hear the difference clearly. I can only assume that there are some more clo(w)n(e)s like myself....Maybe not....:xeye:

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:

Should you go for the twisted pair, try to use one colour for each conductor.
That way you don't need to sort out polarity issues with an ohmmeter....Mistakes are easy enough to make already.

I suppose you mean well but I OTOH do hear the difference clearly. I can only assume that there are some more clo(w)n(e)s like myself....Maybe not....:xeye:
The teflon tubing I have is red and transparent, so I'll be able to distinguish between the two wires ;)
As about the difference, I never had pure copper, but compared to what I had made out of copper, the silver is clearly better. Also did some DBT with someone switching between the two. The hights a much better, "crystal clear", the bass is tighter(and tighter is better almost for eveything ;) ).

Just a side note: I don't want an ag vs cu debate since I already made up my mind

Hi,

Its a matter of taste I guess.

Apart from the diferent resistance of Cu and Ag the only diference is price :D

And if you have it, use it! No point in going back.

I'm more on the objective side of things, not the subjective. What can I say numbers speak to me ;) and in that sense Ag is better than Cu.

In a no compromise situation I would use Ag, for that last 0,01% improvement.

Clowns? Arent we all... :clown:

:)

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.