signal theory - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2002, 04:10 AM   #11
Banned

Default Elso is the man!

Must be the water, man.

Ren
Old 19th July 2002, 06:25 AM   #12
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
heh, probably
Old 19th July 2002, 09:13 AM   #13
Account Disabled

Send a message via ICQ to gromanswe Send a message via AIM to gromanswe Send a message via Yahoo to gromanswe
Default Duo, you made a very good point

How hard you let a circuit work,
will effect the result of that work performed.
We are not slave drivers!
Well, we can buy new slaves,
if a bunch of them scream and die.

Man lives not by bread alone,
neither can you make a lifetime last
only by listening to music.

The good thing with philosophy is,
it can be the tool to try and understand
a variety of things. Not at least signal theory.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...2858#post42859

gromanswe
needs more beer and less water
Old 19th July 2002, 11:38 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hello Nico,

If you're talking 'bout "signal," there's a bunch of ways to distort/modify it. I assume you are interested to distort it because you are probably a member of a music band... and you're probably the lead guitarists (just kidding), and want to have sound effects.

In that case, you have to dig some popular diy electronic magazine on how to build sound effect (analog circuit).

BUT... if you want to modify the signal DIGITALLY, then it's a bit complicated. Most probably you end up using DSP (Digital Signal Processor). The basic theory is purely mathematics and I think you have to pass calculus class first to understand discrete time signal processing. But if you want to know a bit about DSP theory, you might find a book written by Proakis & Manolakis (Digital Signal Processing) useful. But it's probably very hard to understand.

If you want to know the effect of real world Resistor, caps, cable etc in high frequency, you might find a book written by Ott (ooh, i forgot his full name) useful (the title contains word like "Noise Reduction...").

But, to be exactly, what kind of distortion you want to perform? If you're looking for signal theory... I mean ONLY signal (no schematics), try to read Proakis & Manolakis book. The book explains SIGNAL in time domain & frequency domain.... All Maths and as you wish... no schematics (yucks!)

Okay, I'll stop. Probably you're having a headache right now of what I'm talking. Btw, for 17 years old kid... able to calculate & build class A amp, you're DAMN GOOD! I don't understand how amplifier works, until I take analogue circuit class

Cheers,
Old 19th July 2002, 05:38 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to nico6969
Default ok thanx

thanx u dude,

ill try out that proakis book.

thanx alot
Old 19th July 2002, 05:45 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to nico6969
Default a

and yes , youre right !
ive got a band n i play guitar and synths
so im really into crazy sounds,
i use lots of old analog pedals (cuz theyre noisier) and oscillators and noisy electronic gadgets ,
and i also love analog electronics, so im into them too
cheers ta
Old 19th July 2002, 06:44 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I say that Swedish beer is good, so therefore Swedish water must be good, so therefore Gromanswe's thoughts are good.
Elso, conduction is not clean DC - there are noise components according to the conductor elements used, and this can be audible.
Dissimilar materials cause a Fermi voltage which puts a bias in conduction paths, and the properties of dielectric/insulation materials can have a profound effect, as can thermal modulation effects (physically large components display less of this), as can internal and external electric and magnetic fields, and as Harry adds these properties can also cause return loss (reflections).

The point is to understand what materials sound good and why - It is all quite elementary really.

Regards, Eric.
Old 22nd July 2002, 05:03 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hello Nico...
For analog circuit you might try this book, written by Sedra & Smith:
Microelectronics Circuit (ISBN: 0195116631)

I heard that students at MIT also use this book. This is a VERY good analog circuit book. You'd probably need this book also:

Electric Circuit Analysis (author: David E. Johnson et al., Published by Prentice-Hall).

This book explains the very basic of electric circuit (Resistor, Inductor & Capacitor).

Regards,
Old 22nd July 2002, 05:32 AM   #19
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

My suggestion is a diode clipper to make a distortion pedal - quick and dirty....worth a try. two diodes wired across the load, one for each forward and backward current flow....

Hide this!Advertise here!