Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2004, 04:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vintage Audio Gear Recommendations?

Ok, so I have at my "disposal" 9 vintage / antique dealers who are always out hunting for good stuff. I do consignment on eBay for them.

Since they are always out and about hunting for stuff, I thought it might be a good idea to give them a list of vintage audio gear to watch for. But my expertise in this area is severely lacking. Besides ordering up every piece of old (non push button) Marantz they come across, I don't know what to recommend. I've scored a few nice old Marantz recievers for dirt cheap, and they really blow away the newer equipment I have sound-wise. I'd like to take it further.

So what other vintage audio brands should we be looking for? This should include mainly ideas for recievers and amps, along with turntable recommendations.

I humbly bow before the knowledge base that is DIY Audio, and ask the pros what I should get...

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I just hate to think of all the vintage gear that is hitting the dumpster because my dealers don't know what to look for.

Thanks guys!
Old 24th November 2004, 05:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sansui AU-217, 317, 417, 717 Integrated amps. There may be a 517, 617, 817 and 917 but I'm not sure on that. Sansui made some really nice stuff back then.

Then there are the Dynaco Mark II, Mark III, Mark IV and Stereo 70 Tube units which always bring a pretty penny on ebay.
Old 24th November 2004, 05:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the recommendations Bill, I'll add them to the list.
Old 7th February 2005, 06:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Faithblinded,

The AU-517, AU-717 and AU-719 (2 years later) are 'dual-mono' amps (two power supplies in the one chassis). I've just become the owner (via Ebay) of an AU-417, which has the same amplifier(s) as the AU-517, and the same specs, but only has a sigle power supply.

Try www.classicsansui.net and www.sansui.us for better info

Sorry to be a couple of months late in replying.
Old 7th February 2005, 07:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to darth_sanchez
technics pre 1985 are good too
Old 7th February 2005, 07:45 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There is a lot of vintage gear out there -- particularily speakers -- that are worth grabbing to break down into parts.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!