Recording Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I'm copying all my reel-to-reel tapes to CD, but my machine won't play at 1 7/8 IPS & I have a few tapes recorded at that speed.
I know I can copy the tapes at 3 3/4, and play them back on the computer at half speed (I'm using GoldWave),
But, my question is, can I play them back on the computer AND record them on the computer at the same time, so I can copy the .WAV files to CD with the correct playback speed????

I hope that's clear, any help appreciated.
Cheers,
Pete McK

...ummmm

then i'd lose some more quality (not that they're particularly good tapes anyway)
I think I'll drag the kids computer out to my shed & do it that way

I just thought that with all this technology today there must be an easy way to do it...

cheers,
Pete McK

i think that sound card of a computer has a 20kHz low pass anti-aliasing filter
so if you simply resample the recorded track and half the speed you also half the frequencies- and every over 10kHz is simply cut

but if it hasn't
there are chances for huge loss of quality like alising
setting the sampling frequency of soundcard to at least 88200Hz
may work

by the way
if you use windows try opening recorded .wav with sound recorder (usualy C:\WINDOWS\System32\sndrec32.exe).
choose lower speed effect (i use polish version of MSwin so i don't know the actual name of the effect) and save the file.

or
you may try downloading COOL EDIT demo and using strech option

I'll give that a try...

...thanks, darkfenriz.

Perhaps if I look closer, the progs I have now may have an equivalent function.

I'm not worried about >10Khz, these mono tapes were recorded over 35 years ago on a very average tape recorder from AM radio;
I'll just be happy to hear some of the songs again.

Cheers,
Pete McK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.