This Forum's technology - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2004, 11:47 AM   #11
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
surpassed by vBulletin
My point exactly. Of course the other point is that for smaller boards, a good deal of hosts don't allow flat files on their shared servers.
Old 20th November 2004, 12:16 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by li_gangyi
it's Vbulletin...and it costs quite a fair bit...
it's Vbulletin... but with (probably) 1000s of hrs of enhancements.

dave
Old 20th November 2004, 01:33 PM   #13
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioFreak

My point exactly. Of course the other point is that for smaller boards, a good deal of hosts don't allow flat files on their shared servers.
... flat files... compared to...? Can anyone give me a short explantion?
Old 20th November 2004, 08:14 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Most forums, guestbooks, etc. require a database, which stores data and makes it extremely easy to access, since it's pre-sorted and the database does most of the work, rather than the bulletin board script routine. The downside is if the database goes haywire, all posts, logins, etc. are gone!

Flatfiles mean each post, user data, etc. is stored in individual text files in various directories. This can slow things down, since the board script must sift through the appropriate directory. If all goes wrong, maybe one or two posts are lost, whatever was being accessed at the time of write, will be lost, but not the whole kit-and-kaboodle.

In the past, flatfile boards consumed a lot more CPU than a database, but since version 1.3 of YaBB, the server CPU and RAM usage is pretty much the same as a database system.

I'm personally biased against databases, because I have used three, and all have lost data

I have yet to lose a flatfile-based system
Old 21st November 2004, 01:38 AM   #15
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
I'm personally biased against databases, because I have used three, and all have lost data

I have yet to lose a flatfile-based system
Well in 5 yrs, we've lost something like a dozen records.... not bad if you ask me.
Old 21st November 2004, 05:29 AM   #16
TheoM is offline TheoM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What I gleen from all this...

It strikes me that the most important attribute of a BB is that people will use it. Also, once code and environment have settled down, reliability can be reasonably well engineered. Good backup, raid, etc. Data bases are less reliable than flat files true, but your bank runs on data bases (most likely) - have you ever lost money? So if data bases favor response time for every user, every day I'd say that's worth it IF you can engineer in enough reliabiity to suit the application.

Second, code is rarely tested well enough. Broad usage is the best test. PhPbb seems to be very broadly used, and has thus been better tested than most BB's.

Third, it seems to me that scalability is quite important because if your community succeeds, the last thing you want to do is run out of gas, change technology, and force every user to learn a new interface. Data bases support scale.

I would expect low volume for the community I want to build - 100 posts a day max. Does that seem like it will press the bleeding edge?

How do search engines regard Phpbb - are the posts generally indexable? Seems like it since so many posts here show up on google. Was attention paid to this aspect or did you just get lucky. . Ted.
Old 21st November 2004, 06:25 AM   #17
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Default Re: What I gleen from all this...

Quote:
Originally posted by TheoM
How do search engines regard Phpbb - are the posts generally indexable? Seems like it since so many posts here show up on google. Was attention paid to this aspect or did you just get lucky. . Ted.
We run a very heavily modified vBulletin system. I had to specifically alter the code to get our pages indexed by google etc.
Old 21st November 2004, 12:00 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioFreak

Well in 5 yrs, we've lost something like a dozen records.... not bad if you ask me.
Many of my mates have lost little or none too.

I think I'm database-jinxed

Hide this!Advertise here!