Using less bandwidth and others

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why aren't big attachements compressed(Or images converted to GIF or JPEG)? (Well, if that's possible, and doesn't take 300 years to do)

Also, I'd pay for diyAudio, if I could have a credit card(I'm 14), and if people would answer my posts.(Now, I prefer posting on Rod Elliot's(ESP or rode) forum on instantboard)

Also, you need space? Delete old users; send notices to inactive users to tell them their account will be deleted, or to click a link to keep it.(I think I'll receive some)

I didn't mean because some may not be able to view them, I meant there may be a reason why compressing a particular image would be bad for it, e.g. JPEGs are lossy, which is no good for images with lots of sharp lines, GIF can only do 256 colours, and Internet Exploder won't render PNGs with transparency properly.

Since there is no automatic way to know what the poster intended, automatic compression could ruin an image.... Maybe a warning message when someone tries to post an uncompressed or very large attachment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.