(humor)How many group members does it take to change a light bulb?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jocko Homo said:
Putting a rectifier in series with a bulb operating on AC is a good way to shorten its lifetime.

Bulbs intended for use with DC usually have filament structures designed to work that way.

Usually...........

Jocko

...Therefore, you need to make sure that the bulb gets the cleanest possible AC, free of any DC offset and of RF interference or noise.

3 members will propose a solid state AC oscillator/rebuilder (PSAudio style).

44 members will then thrash the solid state approach, maintaining that it gives a cold and harsh hue to the light emitted. Replacing the FET's with half a dozen 1938 vintage GE tubes would cure it.

1 member will maintain that, given the use of the above tubes, the AC cleaning circuit for the best light is the one suggested by some obscure Japanese professor in a handwritten note miraculously found after the recent earthquake.

27 members will claim that having adopted the above circuit, they are now able to see things in a much clearer way and with an unprecedented detail. Half of them will also report having been cured of asthma and rheumatism.

52 members will dispute the miraculous claims about the purified-AC-based-exchanged-lightbulb and will demand the findings to be checked in a series of double-blind tests :D ...quite appropriate, since we're talking about a light bulb!!!

m.parigi said:

52 members will dispute the miraculous claims about the purified-AC-based-exchanged-lightbulb and will demand the findings to be checked in a series of double-blind tests :D ...quite appropriate, since we're talking about a light bulb!!!

...and another 45 members will argue that a "deaf test" would be more appropriate, to eliminate influences from external acoustic vibrations which, as it is well known, can deteriorate light quality...:D

Oh what an incredible oversight!!

To be of any value, the bulb *MUST* be placed in a double screened room so external light light sources are blocked.

Room size and bulb placement are also critical for a correct performance.

I think a software package should be released to simulate different combinations of aspect ratio and walls / ceiling materials to compare effects also.

Also, we shouldn't forget the few unbelievers that insist that 'a lamp is a lamp is a lamp' and that all lamp or psu mods are futile.

This, obviously, will give others reason to start a flamewar which (naturally) will be moderated strictly. The flamers will complain 'en plein public' about the commercial interests of the moderators who will, in turn, explain that they have no commercial interest whatsoever, despite working at a light bulb (lamp) factory or -better still- have a webshop where they sell high end light bulbs/lamps or lamp parts.

;)

One member must slowly and pedantically explain the tungsten halogen regenerative cycle to the rest of the forum.

Indignant responses will follow from all those who already know about the THRC, explaining why it doesn’t apply to this bulbs failure.

Why hasnt anyone mentioned lightbulbs w/ CCW threads? (for those of us hwo use threaded base lightbulbs)

And of course there's always the lurking handful that would say in order to accurately judge whether ther is a REAL difference or just a PERCEIVED difference that a double blind test should be performed. :bfold:

Then the follow-up group spelling out the excrutiating details of how that blind test should be run. :clown:

Then the one spoil sport who will understand that a double BLIND test is ineffective when judging a light source.:bawling:

Enjoy,
Bob

Noob question.

I'm about to install my first lightbulb, but I have a few questions first.
Is there a kit available? My budget is $200.00 US and what is the best solution for my money? I can't read a schematic yet, so I would appreciate a detailed layout if possible. Thanks for all your help!

4 members to point out that the use of sockets for light bulbs has a detrimental effect to HF response and thus light quality.

2 members doing sim's about the parasitic effects of sockets concluding that they don't effect the light quality at all.

1 member and light bulb guru shouting out that the experiments he did with sockets back in the early 70's proved that sockets were very bad for light quality. "Everytime someone says they are using sockets with good effect it just makes me laugh".

32 members discussing various brands of sockets and their impressions regarding light quality. Some sockets just seem to be too bright.

1 member offering kits with premium grade sockets and cabling. The sockets are CNC machined out of 4'' rod 7075-T6 aluminium coupled to a massive copper plate. The optic signature of copper along with its damping properties makes it ideal for light bulb sockets.

14 members discussing quantum-mechanic theories of why different sockets will have an impact on light quality.

The Chef pointing out that sockets are standard in the pro light industry and have a negligible effect on system light performance while he would be a lot better of doing his homeworks and passing his exams.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.