Northwest DIY Event/ in Vancouver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JasonL said:
Cal,
Did you take any pic's ?

Hi Jason,

No I didn't, there were lots of cameras around so I didn't bother. Hopefully others will post theirs here on this site.

Too bad you couldn't make it, hopefully you will next time. It was nice to meet all these people.

And all those speakers... it was heaven.

I think my favourite was the funky looking apostrophe speaker with the single 4" in it. Incredible sound for such a smaller driver. Of course they all were good and showed what you could do if you know what you're doing.

Cheers and go BC Lions in the 92nd Grey Cup!

Cal

The other sonic standout was Tim Forman's tweaked Radio Shack 40-1197 bipole ML-TLs (posted somewhere on diyAudio).

Thanks Dave. A lot of credit has to go to you for inspiration and advice during the tweaking of this design. These speakers contain the prototype Planet10 phase plugs for the 40-1197 and FE103E. There's also the DIY Audio forum discussion where the bipole ML-TL began. Here's my web page for the design.
http://www.timn8er.com/alegria_audio_bptl.htm

Chris especially enjoyed these speakers. I watched him listening to Eva Cassidy's Imagine with a very pleased expression on his face. :cool: (Chris is the very sagacious fellow with the intense look in the front row of the listener's pic. )

Hypex amp

Can anyone comment a little more about the sound quality coming from the Hypex UCD modules?

There are a lot of people building or hoping to build them who would like some more info. It looks as though Kevin didn't have much for filter caps on that board.

thanks

Hey.... that is a whopping 10,000uF per rail. :bigeyes:

It doesn't take much to just add more caps in parallel but I'm not sure it makes much difference into your typical speaker load. I think I'll add a second rectifier though and I might try additional caps just to see how extra capacitance changes things subjectively.

It seems to be improving with playing time. At RMAF it sounded rather clinical but it seems to be mellowing with time. It might be that I'm just used to how it sounds now.

I'd wax on about the subjective attributes but that isn't my strong suite. It did work well driving pretty much all the speakers we hooked up to it. It also doesn't have a bit of noise.... no turn-on or turn-off transients and it has been pretty much indestructible from my intentional shorting test.

Like all the Class D amps I've built it hardly ever gets warm to the touch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.