Automotive trickle charger ??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2004, 12:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Automotive trickle charger ???

Its that time of year again here in MN. time to put the BMW into winter storage and this year i need to build myself a trickle charger to keep the dual batteries charged up.

I just cant bring myself to pay $70.00 for 1.5 amp trickle charger when i probably have all the parts needed right here in the shop. BUT. what i dont know is what is so special about a trickle charger? anything?

Some have said they have a IC inside to monitor voltage etc.

Anyone have any info on how to build one of these?

I have plenty of 2 amp 12VDC power supplys if thats all thats inside.

Zero
Old 6th November 2004, 12:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try some google searchs. If I remeber correctly, you need a regulated voltage, and the voltage varies with temp. If you know the temp, you could adjust the voltage as the weather changes. I've seen tricle chargers for a lot less here. Or use a automatic charger on a timer to let it run for 5 to 10 min a day or an hour per week or something.
Old 6th November 2004, 01:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Maybe use a 12V 500ma "wall-wart" on a timer? run it maybe an hour every (other?) day or something. Simple,and should be really cheap. (especialy if you have a timer and wall-wart in your junk box.)
Or,if you have a smaller wall-wart,maybe 100ma,you could probably leave it connected continously without damaging the battery/ies.
Old 6th November 2004, 06:16 AM   #4
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

You must look around more because battery charges are dirt cheap at least in Sweden.

If you have some parts in your junk drawers it's pretty easy to make a charger. Just fix current limitation and a fixed voltage of 2.35 volt per cell. LM317 will work fine.
Old 6th November 2004, 09:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

14.1 V is a little hot for a trickle charge. Take a long drive, then measure the voltage with the car running. Most modern cars use the computer to regulate the altenator and they have a pretty good charge algorithm that starts high untill the battery is recharged then tapers off to a trickle. Also it would be good to know how much of a load the car is putting on the batteries with its little BS accessories like keyless entry receiver, radio memory, etc. you'll need to overcome these losses. I would guess around 13.2v
Old 6th November 2004, 11:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Stuart Easson Send a message via Yahoo to Stuart Easson
Default constant current

I have a similar 3 headed setup for the cars I'm not driving...I just made a 250ma constant current source, attached a lighter plug to it and called it done. You'd need to make sure the current was enough to overcome parasitic losses, I made sure I had 150-200ma going into the battery.

Since you have the transformers, you'd only need a power device (mosfet), a small bipolar and couple of resistors...

Stuart

Hide this!Advertise here!