circuit construction - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2002, 09:16 AM   #1
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

Default circuit construction

Hi all,
Check out this page http://wiredworld.tripod.com/tronics...echniques.html and tell me what you guys think.
Can we infer that making PCBs is more of a money and time-saving scheme? Most DIYers make only one amp or whatever at a time. When making a DIY amp, all of us will be careful and time is not a constraint for us. So if wiring the components at right angles to cut out crosstalk and so on result in good circuits, why not do away with PCBs. PCBs are neater, but what we need is quality, right?
Regards,
Vivek
Old 6th July 2002, 10:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
I'm probably rebuilding most of my amp's boards on pcb. Veroboard is neat, but something that annoys the hell out of me is how horrid they are when you have to replace a component.

Besides, pcb's are so neat looking
Old 6th July 2002, 01:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

One really nice thing you can do with a pcb is have a ground plane that is the earth part of the cct where the entire upper side of the board is copper except for a bit of clearance around where the component leads goes through the board to the tracks on the underneath. You don't even have to use plated through holes so you can make them at home. For power amps especially, you don't have to worry so much about being careful about earth loops causing distortion because the earth resistance between any two points is rock-bottom. Also for low level stages, as well as being good for no earth loops and local bypassing with a cap that is *really* tied to earth, the groundplane acts as a sort of shield to the traces as well.

GP.
Old 6th July 2002, 04:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sounds like both of you are in favour of the PCB. Thanks.
Regards,
Vivek
Old 7th July 2002, 12:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hey, i don't disregard Veroboard AT ALL (in fact, 90% of everything i've built has been on those things). But, f.ex. in a power amp you WILL have to replace something sooner or later, even if it's an old leaky electrolityc cap.
Old 7th July 2002, 04:18 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Lisandro,
I am not very worried about replacing components. What I am concerned about is whether the placement of the components will have an effect on the performance of the amp.
Regards,
Vivek
Old 7th July 2002, 04:25 AM   #7
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

If the circuit is simple enough to wire point to point i'd do it that way (p-p wiring offers the absolute shortest signal path possible when done well and you can move components around more with less restrictions) and for audio frequencies it works well but for digital etc you really need a pcb. Vero board is good for R&D but I wouldnt do a finished circuit on Vero.
Old 7th July 2002, 10:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

PCBs are like everything else electronic; if they're well designed they will perform like they should, and there's no reason why they couldn't match a p-t-p layout. Some PCB software can calculate parasitic capacitance and coupling for you, but in the end, i feel, it's a matter of experience.

And yes, i agree, for digital a pcb is practically the only way to go.
Old 7th July 2002, 01:46 PM   #9
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

All,

second p2p wiring. TME nothing beats a properly done p2p wiring sonically. And as AudioFreak mentioned: shortest signal path possible.

Nevertheless, if it is an auxilairy circuit, Vero board is fine. If i need the circuit more than once, i make a proper PCB.
Using my inkjet to generate scale 1 artwork. Etching with HCl/H2O2. Please search the forum, i have described in detail how. I guess it was under Electronic Components.
Old 7th July 2002, 02:10 PM   #10
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Bernhard,

Have you by chance completed your AKSA?

Cheers,

Hugh

Hide this!Advertise here!