how to make a simple volume remote??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, a friend of mine wants me to build him a controller for a remote control to adjust volume in his front end. He's got an alps auto potentiometer that uses +/- 3 volts for up or down... I already have a remote I want to use, but I need to know what I could use to control the pot, i was thinking of a PIC chip, but I don't know how to program them or use them... Can anybody help me with this??:confused:

Hi Duo

That Percy Audio kit is very expensive - 98USD, and I assume he charges postage on top of that. Also bear in mind that Michael Percy is very busy at the moment - he hasn't replied to any of my recent emails. However, the kit does exactly what you want, and is controlled by standard Philips RC5 codes.

I see alot of people asking for motorised pot driver / IR remote decoder circuits, I think a motorised pot is a really cool and ergonomically satisfying way of controlling volume - not to mention its avoidance of any digital circuitry in the signal path. A recent thread on the topic was:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4421

and here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3272&highlight=motorised+pot

Although on the latter thread, they were thinking of using a separate Velleman kit - you want something to receive RC5.

I hope you get your remote volume working OK. Let me know when you do - I'm very interested in something similar myself!

Well, you see... I'm not acually interested in the phillips rc5 codes, I want to use a remote I already have that uses different codes.
I'm thinking theres a way to use a microcontroller like an atmel or whatever. I'd like to simply program two functions with the codes for vol up and vol down on the remote. I want to set it up so that whenever the chip recieves a code for up or down, it makes a line go high so I can operate the mororized pot. I know it can be done since that's how remote control in virtually everything works.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.