how to make a simple volume remote?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2002, 03:58 AM   #1
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
Default how to make a simple volume remote??

Hey, a friend of mine wants me to build him a controller for a remote control to adjust volume in his front end. He's got an alps auto potentiometer that uses +/- 3 volts for up or down... I already have a remote I want to use, but I need to know what I could use to control the pot, i was thinking of a PIC chip, but I don't know how to program them or use them... Can anybody help me with this??
Old 6th July 2002, 04:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi.

Why do not try http://www.percyaudio.com/ and download the
catalog and it is on the last page. Super sollution.

Happy music.

Trigon.
Old 7th July 2002, 11:53 AM   #3
trwh is offline trwh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Duo

That Percy Audio kit is very expensive - 98USD, and I assume he charges postage on top of that. Also bear in mind that Michael Percy is very busy at the moment - he hasn't replied to any of my recent emails. However, the kit does exactly what you want, and is controlled by standard Philips RC5 codes.

I see alot of people asking for motorised pot driver / IR remote decoder circuits, I think a motorised pot is a really cool and ergonomically satisfying way of controlling volume - not to mention its avoidance of any digital circuitry in the signal path. A recent thread on the topic was:

remote controlled preamp

and here:

DIY IR remote control kit?

Although on the latter thread, they were thinking of using a separate Velleman kit - you want something to receive RC5.

I hope you get your remote volume working OK. Let me know when you do - I'm very interested in something similar myself!
Old 7th July 2002, 10:53 PM   #4
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
Well, you see... I'm not acually interested in the phillips rc5 codes, I want to use a remote I already have that uses different codes.
I'm thinking theres a way to use a microcontroller like an atmel or whatever. I'd like to simply program two functions with the codes for vol up and vol down on the remote. I want to set it up so that whenever the chip recieves a code for up or down, it makes a line go high so I can operate the mororized pot. I know it can be done since that's how remote control in virtually everything works.

Hide this!Advertise here!