Enough about loudspeakers.... let's talk headphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What kind of headphones/hp. amps combinations are you guys using? I've recently bought a pair of Phillips SBC HP605 ( http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000056SJV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg , 8-28,000hz, 106db/mw 32 ohms) for cheap that were originally intended for PC use, but i've been liking them so much that they'll almost surely end on my hifi rig!
The amp/preamp combination will pretty sure be Rod's Elliot DOZ for headphones and hifi discrete preamp. I'm still working on that one... big proyect, with digital control and the works.

I use Sennheiser HD600 headphones primary for testing around the lab. The HD600 are open backed so they do let in some external noise. The open back is reported to eliminate standing waves on the diagram. I find that the connecting cord quality could be improved since it is easily damaged if the cord gets hung up on something while moving around. The overall sound quality is excellent.

One of my projects on the back burner is to build a new amplifier to drive these. Perhaps I can find the time to do this in a few years.

The apparent quality of headphones will vary between users since the fit to the head and ear positions and canal for all of us are not the same. The same can be said when loudspeakers are used. Sagging skin within the ear and ear canal are also factors. Those individuals with true golden ears likely have wide-open ear canals that have not sagged partially closed with age.

John Fassotte
Alaskan Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.