Weird discovery with the '95 JLH - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2002, 10:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Default Weird discovery with the '95 JLH

It's loud. How loud? Side to side, noticeably LOUDER than a regular A/B amp at the same wattage (on the same set of speakers, of course).

I tried it side-to-side my dad's Sansui 2x12w AB amp, hooked in a multimeter and set both amps to the same output wattage (4w), and yes, it DOES sound much louder. This is even more evident as the volume is raisen. Dad and brother confirmed it too.
Now, i very much doubt that the JLH could be compressing the signal like that, so what's a reasonable explanation? I know most people feel like class-A (and tube amps for that matter) sound "louder", but it does feel like the volume is a few notches up.

Again, i'm loving this amp If you want cheap, quality class-a look no further!
Old 28th June 2002, 10:53 PM   #2
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Maybe some signal level get lost because of crossover distortion or it is just a lot better amp at controlling the speaker.

Sonny
Old 29th June 2002, 03:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Heheh... actually, i feel like the sound has more "body", if that makes any sense. I mean, tight bass, clear highs, everything's in its place. It makes the sound fuller, trust me!
And about handing the speaker better, i have no doubt in my mind. The Sansui is a nice amp, but's a cheapo one and they don't tend to handle reactive loads that well. Bummer
Old 29th June 2002, 04:02 AM   #4
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
Yeah, I'd say your JLH would have lots more control. It probably has more body cause it's got better bandwidth and probably less components(maybe) I've had a few amps that sound much better at the same power, cause of more power supply current headroom, tighter design limits, higher bias, basically better ability to handle a load alltogther.
Old 29th June 2002, 05:43 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisandro_P
The Sansui is a nice amp, but's a cheapo one and they don't tend to handle reactive loads that well.
Two things could be contributing.

The JLH is probably providing more information... so even at the same measured SPL could sound louder because it is providing more.

More likely is the ability of the JLH to provide current capability to keep the power levels up as the load gets reactive. (There is a cos term in the equation and as the current approachs 90 degrees to the voltage the power output goes to zero)

What speakers do you have? Do you have a link to the JLH you built?

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!