Linux calls 60 times faster than IE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If i call my webserver with a Linux based browser client, like Mozilla (standard issue on Red Hat 9) a page is built by PHP in typically 3 mS. This is the time measured by the server to build the page, and skip it off to the local send cache.

If i call the exact same page with any windows based browser client, and on the same network as the Linux machine, it takes +200 mS to build it on the server.

???

The difference can be reduced if i reduce the number of font changes in a page.

Even more ???

Anyone has an explanation for that?

It depends entirely on the browser, not OS.

The fastest Windows browser is a tie between IE6 and Opera 6.x

The fastest Linux browser is Lynx, bar-none. Next is Dillo.

Mozilla is way faster on Linux than Windows because the Linux version is native and can access the shared libraries faster (especially the image libs), while the Win32 version is self-contained.

Actually, as far as console browsers go, Lynx is a slow and bloated piece of crap. Don't even think about try to use it on even a highend 386. Both w3m and links support way more features and w3m uses far less resources. Also as for shared libs verses static, I'd have to say static compiled binaries would have a speed advantage if anything, as only that process can ever have access to them. If anything Mozilla is slow on Windows because Mozilla is just plain slow on most machines, and will always be slower then IE on Windows as IE is part of the OS.

1900 moses 20 0 49664K 38296K kserel 0:16 0.00% 0.00% mozilla-bin

I mean that's just 50M of RAM with mozilla idling. Add a few tabs and different webpages and she really jumps. Firefox does seem to render pages faster on this machine, but it still like it's RAM, a lot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.