high end computer speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1st let me state my bias -- actually i'll just quote Douglas Adams ""Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%!" "

The iMac, despite having sold only 6 million, has had a large influence on not only computing, but design in general. For instance, after stagnating on PCs/MS USB bloomed as a technology because the iMac demanded it -- and that has made both the Mac wrold & the PC world a better place.

And because of the inherent longevity of a Mac vrs a PC (2-3x more useable lifespan) these lozenge shaped all-in-one computers are going to be around for a long time, despite the fact they are no longer being made.

PhaseShift said:
Annoying high pitched squeal from the hard drives

Same drives as in PCs, and Apple happily replaces the noisy ones

blurry monitors that are hard on the eyes

I have seen literaly hundreds of iMacs and not a one had a blurry screen. I suggest that if still under waranty get it to the dealer and have the screen replaced.

tiny 1" Harmon/Kardon speakers

But not bad for built-in, and they get tremendously better with an iSub, or if that still doesn't satisfy you, a pr of Monsoon MM500s.

dont even get me started on the OS.

When was the last time you actually used a Mac OS? Since NeXT took over the OS has gotten quite a bit stabler, and better. And with OS X (by now the largest installed base of UNIX) it is a whole new ball-game.

Without the Mac OS your world wouldn't be nearly as rich. 95% of the print media you see, still close to 50% of the web-sites, and many, many movies came about thru the MacOS.

dave

I unfortunately have to use them at my High school so the last time I used one was about a month ago. For graphics I still prefer using a PC. Photoshop crashes ALOT on macs. Audio editing just royaly sucks ***. You cannot install a good proffesional sound card. Oh, and that 50% rating for website hosting is websites run on Unix which includes OS X. And yes, the same Quantum hard drives used in macs, are also used in PC's (hey, I'm using one right now). Theres just something in there making some noise that just really annoys me. The blurry trinitron monitors are usually only on the imacs.

Well thats the summed up version of my arguement. :p

========
David

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PhaseShift said:
Photoshop crashes ALOT on macs. Audio editing just royaly sucks ***.

If photoshop crashes alot then something is wrong. And as to the audio thing you can talk to all the digidesign guys.

You cannot install a good proffesional sound card.

The future is FireWire and the black boxes are starting to arrive. Inside a computer is not a good environment for analog audio.

website hosting

Not website hosting, that is dominated by Apache under various UNIX flavours... i am talking about creation of websites.

The blurry trinitron monitors are usually only on the imacs.

The iMacs don't use Trinitrons. If it's blurry, it's broken.

dave

Photoshop crashes ALOT on macs.
This is true even on MAC OS 10, not OS X.

A dual Athlon MP processors can and does beat MAC with dual processors. Also dual Athlon MP processors beats Intel's XEON processors.

Quantum hard drives are slow compared to others. Seagate, a hard drive company, makes noiseless hard drive models.

If anybody wants a very, very noiseless hard drive. Look in solid state storage such as E-DISK. Though E-Disk are expensive.

Fans from Zalman are noiseless. They can move a lot of air when they are hook up to 5 volts. At 12 volts they move over 50 CFM.

PhaseShift, you might want to look into building speakers for your sound system. Speaker DIY kits might be of some interest to you. Cambridge speakers sounds ok, but they need an adjustment in the treble. People have some problems with Audigy. Creative Labs haven't upgraded their drivers in a very long, long time, so don't worry on upgrading the sound drivers for a long time. You might also look at TerraTec's sound cards. TerraTec's DMX 6fire 24/96 looks very similar to Creative Labs Platium series. The specs looks far much better than the Audigy.

Zalman - http://www.sharkacorp.com/ <<---- Zalman Headquarters in the USA
Terratec - http://www.terratec.net/
E-Disk - http://www.bitmicro.com/
A list of sound cards from Best to Worst - http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/compare/index.htm

Too many opinions on many audio products makes people's head spin. In the audio world, it best to use your ears for judgement.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
QUOTE]Originally posted by PhaseShift
Photoshop crashes ALOT on macs.[/QUOTE]

Electro said:
This is true even on MAC OS 10, not OS X.

OS 10 is OS X. Not on my machine. And not on my clients.

A dual Athlon MP processors can and does beat MAC with dual processors. Also dual Athlon MP processors beats Intel's XEON processors.

Raw horsepower as measured by benchmarks is actually a fairly useless measure. A better measure is how much work someone can do. And the PhotoShop Pros mostly use Macs because they get more work done.

dave

Just a note, the new P4's and P4 based Xeon's beat all of amd's current offering in floating point operations because of the higher clock speeds they are currently running at.
Not true. When I use Unibox and I click on recalculate buttons my newer computer, Pentium 4 Northwood (2 GHz), takes half the time as my Athlon 800 Mhz 'Classical' processor. My Pentium 4 system should be about three times faster of my 800 MHz processor. Though I used the same components too. The FPU in the Pentium 4 is much slower than my Althon 800 MHz. The speed of the Pentium 4 executes each line faster than my 800 MHz.

If Excel 2000 is using SECC2 instruction set than yes Pentium 4 will be faster.

Raw horsepower as measured by benchmarks is actually a fairly useless measure. A better measure is how much work someone can do. And the PhotoShop Pros mostly use Macs because they get more work done.
I always try to find measurements in seconds, minutes, or hours. Now, Pentium 4 are much faster than MACs. planet10, I'm not the one that first got defensive.

Can we stick to the topic?

Moving awayy from the MAC/PC wars to computer audio

I think a lot of people don't realize how good computer audio can be.

I use a Hoontech DSP24ve sound card. 24bit DAC to an AKSA55 amplifier (with TLP) then to Jordan JX92S DIY monitors.

Frankly, good source material done this way sounds almost as good as the same material from my Cambridge 500SE and modded DIO.

I've had Cambridge Soundworks. Not bad. Much better than most computer speakers. Replaced the satellites with Steve Deckert's personal planars for a significant improvement in detail. But the Jordans are much better.

So keep up the search. Good computer sound is worth it. Particularly is you do any mixing or mastering.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.