Odd Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tesla is actually an alien from the planet Tralfamador. He worked out a deal with the U.S. Patent office to suppress all research on direct radiated power transfer, in exchange for nubile human breeding stock. He is now back home, but rumors of his presence here keep popping up.
I understand they were trying to have him do a cameo for MIB2, but couldn't come to a suitable arrangement.

Alien or not, Tesla was THE single brightest mind EVER, at least I think so. I think those Tralfamadorian dudes live long enough, he could very well be a member of this forum right here. You never know.

But Guglielmo Marconi patented the radio.

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 230
AFAIK
Tesla / magnetism etc. as mentioned
Marconi is *credited* with the 1st wireless transmission (radio)
Edison screwed Tesla for the rights (brilliant marketing vs. brilliant engineerig)
but was later screwed out of his own company which became General Electric, dropping Edison's name - maybe that's where JPMorgan comes in :)

Incidentally Edison pushed DC vs. AC for home distribution. To demonstrate his point he was instrumental to popularize the electric chair as an execution tool, to demonstrate the dangers of AC. Seriously.

but haven't checked this up, just from dim memory.

MBK

I can see I'm in good company here. You wouldn't believe the people in this field who havn't heard of tesla. Time for a bit of controversy.

Tesla was a Serbian. Actually worked for Edison and tried to convince him of AC. Westinghouse worked with Tesla to create the first AC Dynos at Niagra Falls. Buffalo NY was the first city they lit up with these. Marconis first patented transmitter/reciever set utilized 14 of Teslas patents. This was pushed through the Smithsonian Institute by none other than J P Morgan who had a huge investment in Marconi Wireless and Telegraph. At that time the Smithsonian was very influential with the Patent office. In 1943 the U S Navy went to court in a lawsuit against Marconi Wireless and Telegraph who were suing the Navy for it's use of radio without paying royalties. The U S Supreme Court overturned Marconis patent and recredited Tesla with Invention of the radio. This is what the rock group Tesla named one of their albums over "The Great Radio Controversy"

Thanks for participating everyone, and I'm sure the above comments are arguable. That's what I like about this place.

One never fails to learn. Never trust consensus reality or anything else u learned for that matter. Great forum.

Now explain to me why DC blocking capacitors can screw up dynamic range/punch in op-amp based circuits please, I just don't understand. I noticed this when breadboarding... the type of capacitor didn't seem to matter, just the value (>1 muF). It's like I needed a "capacitor driver" upfront to make it sound right.

MBK

MBK:

A capacitor is a frequency dependant device. Look for information on passive filters or riaa curves to learn how to calculate frequencies. Perhaps you could start another thread as this is a little off topic for this one.

AMPMAN: Share some of your info with us. Who was this masked Canadian and when did he invent it. We're open to discussion as well as the truth but you have to throw more than a blanket statement out there.

Kilowatt said:
Alien or not, Tesla was THE single brightest mind EVER, at least I think so. I think those Tralfamadorian dudes live long enough, he could very well be a member of this forum right here. You never know.

But Guglielmo Marconi patented the radio.

And in 1946 the US Supreme Court invalidated Marconi's radio patent due to Tesla's earlier patent. Why don't that teach that part in school.

What's really funny is that the Smithsonian has a Tesla AC motor in their Edison exhibit with a picture of Edison over it. They have been called on it and refuse to do anything about it.

Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.