Odd Question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2002, 09:46 AM   #11
Keld is offline Keld  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
To demonstrate his point he was instrumental to popularize the electric chair as an execution tool, to demonstrate the dangers of AC. Seriously.
They even electrocuted an elephant.
Old 26th June 2002, 02:42 PM   #12
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

I can see I'm in good company here. You wouldn't believe the people in this field who havn't heard of tesla. Time for a bit of controversy.

Tesla was a Serbian. Actually worked for Edison and tried to convince him of AC. Westinghouse worked with Tesla to create the first AC Dynos at Niagra Falls. Buffalo NY was the first city they lit up with these. Marconis first patented transmitter/reciever set utilized 14 of Teslas patents. This was pushed through the Smithsonian Institute by none other than J P Morgan who had a huge investment in Marconi Wireless and Telegraph. At that time the Smithsonian was very influential with the Patent office. In 1943 the U S Navy went to court in a lawsuit against Marconi Wireless and Telegraph who were suing the Navy for it's use of radio without paying royalties. The U S Supreme Court overturned Marconis patent and recredited Tesla with Invention of the radio. This is what the rock group Tesla named one of their albums over "The Great Radio Controversy"

Thanks for participating everyone, and I'm sure the above comments are arguable. That's what I like about this place.
Old 26th June 2002, 03:19 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Electrics Hero

Also wanted to electrically resonate the planet so that power could be distributed wirelessly without loss.
He came up with many brilliant concepts - I don't think that was a good one.

Eric.
Old 26th June 2002, 04:56 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default tesla et,al

radio was invented here in rural ontario canada as was the paint roller
Old 26th June 2002, 06:49 PM   #15
MBK is offline MBK  Singapore
diyAudio Member

One never fails to learn. Never trust consensus reality or anything else u learned for that matter. Great forum.

Now explain to me why DC blocking capacitors can screw up dynamic range/punch in op-amp based circuits please, I just don't understand. I noticed this when breadboarding... the type of capacitor didn't seem to matter, just the value (>1 muF). It's like I needed a "capacitor driver" upfront to make it sound right.

MBK
Old 26th June 2002, 08:26 PM   #16
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

MBK:

A capacitor is a frequency dependant device. Look for information on passive filters or riaa curves to learn how to calculate frequencies. Perhaps you could start another thread as this is a little off topic for this one.

AMPMAN: Share some of your info with us. Who was this masked Canadian and when did he invent it. We're open to discussion as well as the truth but you have to throw more than a blanket statement out there.
Old 26th June 2002, 08:37 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: tesla et,al

Quote:
Originally posted by AMPMAN
radio was invented here in rural ontario canada as was the paint roller
...and basketball
Old 26th June 2002, 11:32 PM   #18
haldor is offline haldor  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kilowatt
Alien or not, Tesla was THE single brightest mind EVER, at least I think so. I think those Tralfamadorian dudes live long enough, he could very well be a member of this forum right here. You never know.

But Guglielmo Marconi patented the radio.
And in 1946 the US Supreme Court invalidated Marconi's radio patent due to Tesla's earlier patent. Why don't that teach that part in school.

What's really funny is that the Smithsonian has a Tesla AC motor in their Edison exhibit with a picture of Edison over it. They have been called on it and refuse to do anything about it.

Phil
Old 26th June 2002, 11:46 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Jeez, after a stunt like that, I bet I know how Edison died, Tesla probalbly fried his brain with some sort of death ray that he invented and has subsequently been lost to history to get revenge.
Old 27th June 2002, 01:54 AM   #20
JBL is offline JBL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JBL
Just to clear thing up for certain radio wasn't invented in Canada.

Wat was invented here about radio is the first ac operable radio in teh ward(AKA batteryless)

So he(rogers) didn't invented radio just rectification and filtering.

Hide this!Advertise here!