toner transfer method(my mistakes) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2004, 09:56 AM   #1
rs1026 is offline rs1026  India
diyAudio Member

Angry toner transfer method(my mistakes)

I tried to build a PCB using toner transfer method and committed two blunders.First of all the design used a opamp and while taking the printout I flipped the image horizontaly.After the PCB was ready I observed that no way I could solder the opamp.Since the image was flipped the pin no 1 of opamp and the PCB did not coincide.

Secondly I coated the pcb with clear lacquer to avoid the oxidation of copper but later only at the time of slodering I came to know that lead did not stick properly on coating of lacquer.

Can someone share their experince on toner transfer method?How to avoid these small mistakes and prevent rework
Old 10th October 2004, 11:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default SMT issue

I think express PCB has taken the drawing to be SMT mounted by defualt. How can I override this in express PCB?
Old 10th October 2004, 05:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default figured it out

i should not have flipped the image. If and only if SMT is used then I should have flipped the PCB image.
Old 13th October 2004, 01:37 AM   #4
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

If they are through-hole components, maybe you can just mount them on the wrong side. Machined-pin style sockets can be soldered at the component side, with care. It helps to include text on the PC board, so you can tell at a glance if it is reversed or not.

I've had mixed success with toner transfer. The paper I use is the biggest variable. However, using an inkjet printer and transparency film (doubled up) and positive photoresist produces much nicer results.

Hide this!Advertise here!