Cold Heat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I saw this new solding iron and thought it seemed pretty cool!

Someone had their thinking cap on and deserves to make a million...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6151688/

A decent cordless would be pretty handy to have around...

Has anyone used one yet? What do you think of it? Does it do as advertised?

(no, I don't have any affiliation with the company and don't sell these myself...) I simply thought folks here might have use for it...)

Enjoy,

Years ago when they first came out, I got one of the little butane ones. I carried it for field work, and it actually worked pretty well. The little Wahl Isotip worked for light stuff, but it was flimsy and did not like transport. And you either carried two of them or a charger.

The Isotip had a small drill attachment that I liked and I mainly used the thing for the drill. It took a tiny drill bit and was perfect for making holes in pc boards.

When I first saw this, I thought, "Wow, I wonder how it works?" A google of the web uncovered the truth. As FLZapped says, it works by conducting through the solder. In other words, if you're working on tiny elements (think SMT) it might not work. Not to mention, it apparently sends a ton of power through the metal which stands a good chance of destroying the chip you're working on. So, as long as you're using it how they show in the commercial, namely primarily wiring, then it might be good, otherwise, go with a standard iron.

Also, the search I did, brought up a huge list of people waiting to get theirs. Seems, at the time, there was a major supply issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.