New site

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi,

Well if you're reading this you've probably noticed the new site. I hope that it will be yet another step forward in the evolution of this community.

<li> Clicking the three fullstops (<a href="#">...</a>) after a thread title on the front page will take you to the last unread post. I tried some other ways of doing this but they all looked messy. Otherways were completely unintuitive. If you have a better idea let me know. I could easily make it just go to the last post all the time... see how you go.

<li> The Wiki is up. I hope someone uses it :) I had to customize the Wiki so that it only allowed changes from registered forum members. There may be bugs I didn't find.

<li> The new links scripts are up. I have to also heavily customize these scripts so that only registered members can add and update links. I have imported all the old links, including all the ones that were waiting for validation - there may be some junk and advertising in there. But it's up, can tinker with this later... not going to hold back till I have more time because it won't get done ;)

<li> Biography, Location, Interests, Occupation are now required fields. I don't know what that means for existing users, but new ones will be required to fill them in. If you're reading this and you haven't filled in your fields, please do so now. Everyone loves to know a bit about who they're talking to.

<li> You can now set the length of the front page discussions, and also choose between audio or video only, for all you purists.

Thanks to Griff for the fantastic new logo.

Last but not least, thanks to all of you for being here, and especially for those who have battled through the junk that sometimes invades the forums.

More things to come shortly... please post your feedback if you feel so inclined. I'm bound to have missed some things.. like checking this in any browser other than IE6 ;)

Jason

Your new front page seems fine in Netscape 4.5 with the exception that the three dots (go to latest post) are not easily seen or selectable.

However, the new front page (and your survey form) does not display correctly in IE 5.5 or at least it doesn't for me. The display comes up as a series of boxes or frames (some superimposed on others) with plain text. Clearing the IE cache and history does not solve the problem. Forum pages display correctly.

Geoff

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Geoff (and anyone else having display problems).

Thanks for letting me know what browser you are using. I will try to find an IE5.5 here somewhere to test.

In the meantime if you are able to send me a screenshot I should be able to work it out from that.

Thanks!

Jason.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Fixed. My bad. Boy that was ugly. Style sheet mistake. Thanks. How about this for something to accidentally leave at the top of your css file? (yes thats a dot by itself!)

. { padding: 12px 25px 10px 30px; font: 12px/16px geneva, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 2px; border: 1px black solid; ; background-image: url(/images/isvert.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; clip: rect( ); background-color: #FFFFFF}

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks. By the way the whole site is now compressed by default. If your browser supports compression (pretty much all v4.x browsers) then pages should be about 95% smaller.

Just remembered Netscape 4.x doesn't like gzip compression on style sheets, so have moved the css files to another directory and forced off compression. Still some little graphical anomolies (sp?) on Netscape 4.x but will get to them later...

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'm really sorry for not creating more structure in the wiki but its not often I can block out this much time to work on the site. Better to just get it out there I think. A better explanation of how the wiki can work is in order. Any volunteers of course can just go and write it :)

I will try to make the time early this week to do it if no-one beats me to it.

Bill Fitzpatrick said:
Maybe I spoke too soon about Opera. I saw a couple of different user posted gifs that didn't load right.

Ditto for me. I'm using Opera 5.12 and can't see some gif's I previously posted. Works just fine with IE6 though. Used to work ok with Opera.

Engineer's motto -> "If it ain't broke it hasn't got enough features". ;)

GP.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.