spy microphone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No.

But you get better response from a shotgun mic. Take a whole bunch of lengths of tube (copper, brass, electrical conduit, plastic, cardboard, as long as it's solid it don't matter) and cut them to graduated lengths. So you could have like...30 pipes from 5 to 20 inches length. At the near end you fit a dish with a mic in it. Idea being each pipe picks up a narrow range of frequencies, so you get good response from a lot of them. And being straight, it's very directional.

Kinda big though, and doesn't have the movie appeal that makes parabolic dishes so popular.

Tim

Sorry, late post, but this is for future researches.

As a kid we played with a mic element in a rubber traffic cone. This worked very well. It was before we understood parabolas. Most of my stoner friends probably never will understand parabolas.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is play with it, the shape is not too critical, athough a parabola is best. You could make a segmented parabola out of corrugated cardboard.

I sure you could find a small satelite dish, a 90cm dish would have all you need to mount a microphone into just replace the lc LNC with a decent condensor mic

A plastic ball isn't a parabola but it works to a point.

What you do need is a good high gain low noise mic preamp.

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.