Cd storage solution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't have a real system for storing my cds right now and I'm looking to upgrade to something better.

Currently I have ~900 cds mostly rock and am starting to get more Jazz. My current situation is they are all in case logic sleeves one per sleeve with the liner notes in the same sleeve. Most of them (75%) have a printed label in the title slot of the sleeve.

I trashed all the jewel cases but I have a box with all the inlays neatly stacked and I saved the odd boxes (cardboard sleeves/box sets). I keep the cd sleeves in the IKEA cardboard cd cases. (they are about 1' long)

I have almost all of my cds stored in the Catraxx database, at least the titles and songs, I need to go back and fix years for some that cddb didn't have. So I'm thinking this will be useful for cataloging.

My goal is to have most of my music ripped to a computer so I don't use the cd's all that much. But I want to be able to find them so I can rip them in the order I want to listen to them.

So my questions:
I'm thinking of switching over to the univenture sleeves. Mostly because I don't like the looks of the case logics (the finger cutout on the book side looks dumb) also they sell multidisc sleeves which is cool. Are these worth the price? Anything else to consider?

How do most people here organize their collections? One big A-Z? Keep some kind of card catalog? Bar codes? I'm married and we live in a small apartment so I can't go back to the jewel cases scattered around everywhere. How to deal with different genres? Seems like there would start to be crossovers that would make it confusing.

I'd be interested to hear about anyone elses system.

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.