Low Distortion Signal Generator - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2004, 07:32 AM   #61
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

I built Jim Williams oscillator, spent many hours making it work. Its a lot more tricky than it looks to be. I wasn't happy with the final outcome and just had to stop.

There is another source for the optocouplers, low distorion ones in fact. http://www.silonex.com/audiohm/index.html I found them after I moved on to other things. If I didn't have the KH 4400 or the Boonton 1120 I would still be looking at this.

The 10 KHz oscillator looks interesting. I don't have time to build one but I could hook it to the CLT1 and measure the 3rd harmonic accurately. It would be interesting.
-Demian
Old 30th October 2004, 03:11 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Default SG505

here's the schematic --
Click the image to open in full size.

this link is to a large GIF which is more clear:
www.tech-diy.com/sg505_a.gif
Old 2nd November 2004, 12:48 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

Got the power supply (TM501) for the SG505 a few days ago. I'm impressed. Connected the SG505 to the DA4084, and at about 2V RMS output, the reading I get from the DA4084 says 0.0004% THD+N. I'm quite happy.
Old 2nd November 2004, 02:24 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EchoWars
Got the power supply (TM501) for the SG505 a few days ago. I'm impressed. Connected the SG505 to the DA4084, and at about 2V RMS output, the reading I get from the DA4084 says 0.0004% THD+N. I'm quite happy.

That's great news! But how do you get a DA4084 and an SG505 into a TM501 -- are you sure it isn't a '503?
Old 2nd November 2004, 07:19 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

The DM4084 is stand-alone (there is another model that is a 500-series plug-in, I can't remember at the moment). Technically, I guess the DM4084 is kind of a plug-in too, as it releases the same way a regular plug in does, but it cannot be used in a 500-type plug in, and 500-type plug-ins cannot be used in the power supply that comes with the DA4084, or at least this is the way I was told and the way I understand it. The SG505 is the only one in the TM501, obviously.

I wish I had bought a TM502, and I could look for a FG501 or a 501A or a FG502, and sold that cheapie CFG253.

If I do decide to buy a FG plugin, which one ought I to look for??
Old 8th November 2004, 06:34 AM   #66
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tek Function generator

This would be the most useful: Tek-FG504 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...851068409&rd=1
40 MHz lin/log sweep etc. But its two slots.

-Demian
Old 8th November 2004, 12:25 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EchoWars
The DM4084 is stand-alone (there is another model that is a 500-series plug-in, I can't remember at the moment). Technically, I guess the DM4084 is kind of a plug-in too, as it releases the same way a regular plug in does, but it cannot be used in a 500-type plug in, and 500-type plug-ins cannot be used in the power supply that comes with the DA4084, or at least this is the way I was told and the way I understand it. The SG505 is the only one in the TM501, obviously.

I wish I had bought a TM502, and I could look for a FG501 or a 501A or a FG502, and sold that cheapie CFG253.

If I do decide to buy a FG plugin, which one ought I to look for??
Just parenthetically, sometimes it's better to donate your unwanted equipment than to sell it (from a tax standpoint) -- figure this, the tax benefit is (1- tax rate) * fair market value = tax benefit. Fair market value is likely to be a lot higher than the scrap value.

Not that we give stuff to 501C-3's just for the tax benefit, but it is something to consider. I've outfitted an entire inner city high school electronics lab just with discarded Tek PS503's and DM501's -- and they are a lot better than the stuff they get from Pascoe or Vernier. If the economic benefit doesn't quite make it, at least some under-equipped high school teacher will think more kindly of you!
Old 8th November 2004, 01:45 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Jackinnj,
Thanks for the schematic, but it looks really complicated and I agree with looking for a second-hand model.
Old 4th May 2006, 12:35 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

Well, I finally cobbled together the Super-Oscillator from Linear Technologies Application Note 67 -- I didn't have all the polystyrene caps I was looking for:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th May 2006, 09:13 AM   #70
ghg is offline ghg  Austria
diyAudio Member

Perfect, and the question is ....

Do you have access to an AP2 to proof the specs ?

BR

Gary G.

Hide this!Advertise here!