Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2002, 03:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What audio system do you have?

Hi all, when replying to another thread I decided to start this thread to figure out which audio system (amplifier, speakers, etc..) you have/use. So people can just read this thread to see what systems you use and what your expierences are with them.

I achieved the best sound (warm, clear and no lose of medium frequencies) by now by using a class A amplifier with internal computer drive system, my speakers are own build:

2 x 3 way, using:

1 dome tweeter (80W 8ohm) (SEAS)
1 midrange speaker (no horn, but closed design) (60W 8ohm)
1 woofer (120W 8ohm) (JAMO)
(unfortunately I don't know the dB/W/m of the speakers)

and just simple cheap filter (I think 6dB/oct)

box dimensions:

30 cm width
57 cm height
22 cm depth
2 pipes d: 5.5 cm; length = 11 cm

all boards 8mm thick
fill the boxes with rockwool for warmer sound

ideal sound when placed on the floor or in corners (!!!)
Old 18th June 2002, 04:03 PM   #2
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I have a commercially made system. Heavily tweaked, like replacing electrolytics with polypropylene caps, increasing the value of filter caps to 10,000 uF from 4700 uF.
Now, I have built a pair of two-way vented bookshelf speakers with Indian-made Peerless drivers. A fabric dome tweeter and a 5.25 inch coated paper cone woofers. Crossover for the woofer is 6dB and 12dB for the tweeter with Zobel networks for both. Theoritical response is from 56 Hz. Boxes are made of 3/4 inch MDF. No idea about the SPL here either.
The DIY amp is an STK 4171-based one. Sounds pretty good with my speakers.
I also have a Philips CD player which I plan to tweak soon.
A subwoofer and a Rod Elliott Project 3A amp are in the offing.
Regards,
Vivek.
Old 18th June 2002, 05:04 PM   #3
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp is five channels of Rod Elliot's P3A, soon to have 5687-buffered balanced inputs.

Loudspeakers are Energy Take5s (chosen for their high SAF...I'd like to build some biamped Proac 2.5s after I introduce my bride-to-be to the fun of audio. note: this could take awhile. )

My DAC is a very slightly modified Technics SH-AC300. Since I have no hi-fi analog sources, and enjoy being called a heretic, I pass my analog through a CDB5335-based ADC and into the DAC.

My transport is a commerical DVD player.

Tyler
Old 19th July 2002, 01:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default my sight and sound

Nothing special, low end stuffs...
For home theatre mine starts as follows;

Sony DVD7700 --->Belden 1505A--->Rotel 5ch a/v dts--->speakers
centre channel Mirage OM-C3, L/R 4 Koss little speakers from garage sale hooked up in parallel 2 per side, rear channels B&W 302 bookshelfs mounted on top of kitchen cabinets 2/3 of the length of the room, sony tv 61" rear projection.

For audio I use the same DVD player --->Belden 1505A--->DIP 24/96 upsampler--->1505A--->MSB Link Dac(first version)----> J. Risch's Belden 89259/89248 ---->Morrison ELAD pre-amp--->1505A---->JLH for ESL----->mirage 490is.

Room size is 12W X 9H X 47L, 10 pieces of 2 by 4 sound absorb panels along the side and front wall on top of the 61"tv, can not do more due to wife objection to the mess already or risk being kick out of the house with the gears.

Chris
Old 19th July 2002, 03:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

<b>My system is tri-amped.</b>
<blockquote>
<u>Speakers (per channel)</u>

Woofers: (4) 12", Series-Parallel
Lower Mids: (15) 5", Series-Parallel
Upper Mids: (2) 3", Parallel
Tweeter: 1 dome

<u>Crossovers:</u>

Woofer: 90Hz, 4th order low-pass.
Lower Mid: 90Hz to 400Hz, 4th order band-pass.
Upper Mid: 400Hz to 4KHz, 4th order high- pass 1st order low-pass.
Tweeter: 4KHz, 1st order.

<u>Amps:</u>

2 GAS Son of Ampzilla
1 GAS Grandson

<u>Pre-Amp:</u> Nikko Beta 20
<u>Vinyl Playback:</u> Denon DP1200 with inexpensive Grado.
<u>CD Playback:</u> Philips
</blockquote>
Old 19th July 2002, 04:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default 22 Drivers Per Channel = Confusion

I'm sure that it is loud, but no wonder that you don't hear polarity on this system.

Regards, Eric.
Old 19th July 2002, 05:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

<b>mrfeedback:</b>
<blockquote>
Yes, it can play loud. It is also very clean. Please tell me, in your humble opinion of course, what specifically keeps me from hearing polarity.

And, HEY, isn't this is supposed to be a thread of what people have. Why don't you start a new thread called, "Tell me what you have and I'll tell you what's wrong with it." I'll reply, outlining my system as I have done here, and you can bash the hell out of it.
</blockquote>
Old 19th July 2002, 05:37 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: my sight and sound

Quote:
Originally posted by chris ma
L/R 4 Koss little speakers from garage sale hooked up in parallel 2 per side, rear channels B&W 302 bookshelfs
i'd be thinking the 302s would be a better speaker for the fronts. I have a pr and they are better than any Koss i've heard at any price...

dave
Old 19th July 2002, 05:50 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: my main system

My system is in flux, but for now:

Vinyl: Linn LP12/Ittock/Garrett P-77
Pre: NAIM NAIT 2
XO: Marchand XM9 (@125Hz)
Woofers: 2x8" Peerless each side
Mains: Frugal-phile (tm) approved BD-Pipes with Radio Shack 40-1197s and almost a different tweeter every week (XO ~10k). This week it is a pr of 2" alnico cones with Sony name on them, probably made by Foster.
Woofer Amp: Amber series 70
Mains amp: dumpster SE EL84

Digital source: downstairs, haven't found a CD player that i can listen to (or maybe afford) in this system. HT: in another room, but soon to be integrated into the main system now that i have gone from a 20" TV to a 31".

My goal is to slowly replace everything with stuff of my own construction. Changes near the top of the queue are a new mains amp(s) and a new version of the mains with alnico versions of the FE103.

dave
Old 19th July 2002, 06:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Good Polarity/Bad Polarity

Hi Bill,
NO bashing intended at all.
The reason I say this is that you have so many drivers that because of practicallities in mounting arrangements and the series/parallel connections, they are destined to cause all sorts of combing and resonance effects, plus the electronic filters phase characteristics and the different sonics of the amplifiers that there are so many conflicting sources and distortions that a lot of fine detail gets masked.
Phase rotations in the audio band cause loss of depth cues, and result in a 'wall of sound' resultant.
Indeed this can be clean and loud, but the 3D ambience is altered.
If you do a few (enough) A/B comparisons of phase on the same musical passage you will hear a difference, and henceforth you will be stuck with it !.

Please re-read - this previous thread for some confirmations.

Regards, Eric.

Hide this!Advertise here!