Windows XP SP2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi all,

I know, this is no audio topic, but I'm getting desperate and take the chance anybody can give me a pointer. I have upgraded my WinXP Professional to SP2, and can no longer access my email and provider home webpage. My system connects to the server, but after 20 secs or so give the message: connection to server was disrupted. I can access anything else on the web, including diyAudio (thank Gerald for that!).

My helpdesk says, yep, many people that upgraded to SP2 have the same or a similar problem, and no, we will not provide help desk service for a MS problem.

I de-installed SP2, even did a system restore to before the SP2 installation, to no avail.

Anybody had a similar problem, and/or what can I do other than a complete re-install (gasp) of my system?

Jan Didden

I did a SP2 install also about a week ago. It seems that the XP internal firewall is tightened a lot by default after installing SP2.

You should see the shield like icon in system tray that bugs you about security all the time. Open it and try to disable all the firewall functions.

Also check Control panel - > Network Connections -> Local area connection -> properties -> Advanced -> windows firewall settings -> change it to disabled.

Might help but it's just a hunch.

Ergo

XPSP2 blues

Which provider?

I could have look at required ports and report back.

Regards

edit: In the mean time you could try using a public proxy.

213.201.177.75 port 80. This is the dutch Novaxess proxy.

Configure this in IE6 at tools | internet options | connections | Lan settings.

Johannes, I never use fresh updates of any kind especially not system software. It goes both for Macintosh and PC. I let the computer nerds bug test it for me first, a couple of months before I start to think about updating. So far I have read that there are lot's of problems with SP2 so I'll wait because right now I have now problems with XP.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Usvr, Per-Anders, Ergo, ritrion,

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them tomorrow (getting late now). I should have done it like Per, just let the other suckers discover the problems...
The funny thing is that I de-installed SP2 and did a restore but still have the problem. Maybe some of the settings were not restored.

I searched some forums and one guy had the same problem. His solution: de-install outlook and use 'email2pop'..

ritrion: My service provider is pt.lu. But I am not sure I can follow you.

Jan Didden

Jan,

www.pt.lu is accessible from my XP_SP2 pc with firewall enabled.
Even from behind my ISA server. No funny stuff (java, macromedia
activex or whatever) blocking things up on their homepage.

if "de-install outlook ... " means uninstalling outlook express (not
office outlook), you could consider uninstalling IE6 and related
components (outlook express 6 is part off...)
Download and reinstall IE6 SP1, and all (registry) settings should
be restored.

Make sure to save your favourites, mail etc. before you do this.
I am sure you have proper backups, as all of us do:)

Regards

Jan,

Make sure you have your XP CD handy.
Remove IE using control panel | add/remove programs
| add remove windows components.
Deselect IE and OE. confirm via OK and restart.

reinstall from CD in the same manner (selecting IE and OE). connect to internet
Go to www.microsoft.com/downloads | internet
you can download the IE6 preloader, which will guide you
through the rest of the setup. The preloader will get you the
rest (most) of the required software.

Regards

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Oh dear, oh dear...M$ is getting bolder and bolder releasing alpha software as if it was the real thing....Shameless.

Anyway:

I know, this is no audio topic, but I'm getting desperate and take the chance anybody can give me a pointer. I have upgraded my WinXP Professional to SP2, and can no longer access my email and provider home webpage. My system connects to the server, but after 20 secs or so give the message: connection to server was disrupted. I can access anything else on the web, including diyAudio (thank Gerald for that!).

It looks as if your provider is using NAT, Network Address Translation, and that's what's causing a problem with SP2. No that's definetely NOT Sound Practice(s) #2, Jan.
They'll just have to patch that one, I'm afraid.

Some e-mail clients won't show new messages as they fail to update properly....Grrrrrreat.

Ah....Gerald reset the messenger services to start automatically?
Well, if you're keen on receiving e-mail notifications from PHP based forums (most are PHP based) it'll have to run even though it's not 100% secure....

Best advice is to check if you actually need to use a firewall, if you're on an intranet you probably don't, so you can turn the pig misery of an ICF OFF.

If that's not the case and you have the habit of actually making byte to byte, sector to sector images of your system, bless you; you can now actually check it out in real life and return the status of the system to the day your last image was made.
Anything beyond that date is lost unless you have a good backup admin, one that actually monitors what you're doing (Big Brother-style) and is willing to restore your data for you.

If you're not confident with such a restore from image (it's as final and destructive of data as a secure format) ask the advice of someone in the know.
One mistake and you may lose more than you bargained for.
It has one positive upshot: when successful you won't lose time figuring out what else they did wrong in SP-2.

Sorry for the tongue in cheek...been in this business waaayyyy too long...

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Oh dear, oh dear...M$ is getting bolder and bolder releasing alpha software as if it was the real thing....Shameless.

I take offense to that. Microsoft is the company that makes it easiest for consumers to use technology - period.

That there have been and will be problems with their software and everybody else's is a given.

Regarding testing: Few "products" have been tested more prior to release than Windows XP SP2.

Petter

BTW: Try not to disable the firewall wholesale. It is there for a reason.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
The WinXP firewall ends up restricting the user while adding little protection. This has been discussed all over the net. If you need a firewall, either spend $20 on a router (best option), or use something like the free version of Zonealarm.

A firewall won't help you if you are using IE. Even M$ people have admitted they use Firefox, and the Department of Homel@nd Security has recommended an alternate browser. I mentioned Firefox instead of Opera because it's free (not because I'm an open source nut, as if I was I wouldn't be running XP in the first place). Firefox is not just more secure than IE, but better in some other ways. Yes, it's hard to change from the browser you've been using for years, but you get used to the new one fast. Make the move.

Moderators: this thread should be moved to the Off Topic forum.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
fdegrove said:
Hi,

Anyway:
[snip]Cheers,;)

Frank,

I haver de-installed SP2 and did a system restore to way before the SP adventure. Guess what: still the same problem.
Now, I also have McAfee firewall (used it for months) which never gave me problems. But now after the de-install McAfee Firewall is corrupted, doesn't run and cannot be de-installed as the install.log is gone.

So, I said, no sweat, I'll just download and re-install that firewall, then deactivate it to be sure, right? Wrong. McAfee says: you have an older version, you can only install the last version after you de-install you present version. Which I can't. Am I a sucker or what?
How do I de-install a program that says it cannot be de-installed? When will I be able to get back to AUDIO??

You know, I don't think MS is trying to do us a favor with SP2. I think the sole purpose of SP2 is to clobber guys like McAfee and Symantec; a war that is being fought in our pc's with us as the casualties.

Jan Didden

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

How do I de-install a program that says it cannot be de-installed? When will I be able to get back to AUDIO??

While I know how to do this under Windows 2000, I can only assume it's somewhat similar under XP.

Here goes:

Open Explorer (Verkenner if your machine talks Dutch), from the menu bar "Tools", Folder Options, pick "View" and make sure "Show hidden files and folder" is checked and "Hide file extensions for known types" is not checked.
Go to the WINNT folder, drill down to the "Installer" folder.
Sort for "Type" and look for files with the .MSI extensions; those are copies of the software installers of everything that is installed and complies to this set of rules.
McAfee Firewall should be among those files.
My version is 4.02 and the file is called 131f9cf.msi, yours is quite possibly called differently.
Either way, if the cursor is held over a .msi file a textballoon with detail should appear telling you what it is.

When you've found the file, doubleclick it: the setup process will now launch and show the option to either repair the existing installation or remove the package (uninstall/de-install for the semantically inclined ;) ).
Walk through the process and you're done...A reboot may not be required but I'd recommend one nonetheless.
In case all this doesn't work

You can now install the newer version you downloaded and configure that one.

I haver de-installed SP2 and did a system restore to way before the SP adventure. Guess what: still the same problem.

Which is why I take images of the system using a cloning program a la Norton Ghost or (Symantec now bought this one too)
PowerQuest DriveImage.

The problem you're having now is likely caused by the registry settings left behind by SP-2 which can't be reset if you do a restore from within an active Windows system...
It would fall over itself if it did even try to attempt this.
Clever routines set up a log file that will rewrite the correct settings during the next boot process, but I digress.

I think the sole purpose of SP2 is to clobber guys like McAfee and Symantec; a war that is being fought in our pc's with us as the casualties.

That damage was done already with the inclusion of a firewall in XP...
Even when that FW is pretty worthless, the competition knew it was on MS' "To Do List" anyway.
With the release of SP2 they're definetely shooting in their own foot, but: as usual, the users will sort out the problems and foot the bill.
Clever scam isn't it?
People must have a masochistic streak in them and MS knows all about it, I tell you.:mafioso:

From the dungeon of doom, :skull:

PS: Anyone running XP willing to doublecheck my procedure or knowing of an alternative way, please let Jan know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.