Pursuing audio/acoustical engineering - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2004, 04:07 AM   #1
sqlkev is offline sqlkev  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Pursuing audio/acoustical engineering

Now that I've decided to finally come back to school, I'm really thinking about pursuing a career in the audio field. First off, I would like to earn a degree in audio/acoustical engineering, but I really do not know where to start searching. I've googled and came across a few sites with some general information on the available programs, but not much I consider very useful.
I hope that I can find someone on here with experience in the field and tip me in the right direction.

A few questions.

1) As I was googling, I became aware that the audio/acoustical engineering degree can only acquire through a Master's program. Is that correct?

2) If question number 1 applies, what are the undergraduate programs for an inexperience person like me?

3) I prefer a school in California, preferably in Southern California. But, I'm open for suggestions with the best schools within the US. Can you recommend me one?

I appreciate your time reading this. Words of encouragement are welcome. I hope I've made the right decision in doing this.

Kev.
Old 9th September 2004, 08:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Physics and math courses. Major in physics and later on, like you said, you can study more specialized topics.

I studied (BS)Video and Audio Production at the University level; concominant in music. That was easy, but as I undersatand it, if you get into what makes audio work, you'll have to be very good at math. I wasn't so I never went on.

I bought the (Dr) Joe D' Appolito book on testing loudspeakers, thinking it would be a good way to learn how to test drivers and cabinets...it's all equations. I get a headache just reading the intro!

I don't think it is written anywhere that you must absolutely go to school to get into the audio field. I'm sure some haven't, but it helps.

my 2 cents.

Vince
Old 12th September 2004, 06:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to eRiCdWoNg
If you're looking for acoustics theres very few schools specificially for that. Theres Univ. of Hartford in CT, I know they have one. Univ. of Miami had one thats more digital audio design.
Old 12th September 2004, 11:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You might check with the Audio Engineering Society (AES), they have a program for careers in Audio, but I don't know the details. They are also very close to industry if you need apprenticeships etc, and they do sometimes scholarships. They are at www.aes.org/education I think.

Jan Didden
Old 12th September 2004, 11:46 AM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Kev- Vince is right on. Physics is what you want to do. With a solid physics background, you'll be able to understand the basics of mechanics (especially vibrations and waves), solid state, optics, materials, thermodynamics, and of course electromagnetism. Once you understand those basics, you can learn any of the specialized stuff on your own or on the job.
Old 13th September 2004, 10:39 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by vdi_nenna
concominant in
Don't forget about English.

Cal
Old 13th September 2004, 10:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Sorry, english is my third language. And, I could never spell that word correctly.

Old 14th September 2004, 03:28 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Vince,

Your grasp of English as your 3rd language is commendable. In fact, it appears better than some for whom English is their first.

I think it sounds best as "concomitant with" although that's a redundancy as concomitant means "One who, or that which, accompanies"

But, I am straying.

Cal
Old 14th September 2004, 04:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Pursuing audio/acoustical engineering

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sqlkev
[B]Now that I've decided to finally come back to school, I'm really thinking about pursuing a career in the audio field. First off, I would like to earn a degree in audio/acoustical engineering, but I really do not know where to start searching. I've googled and came across a few sites with some general information on the available programs, but not much I consider very useful.
I hope that I can find someone on here with experience in the field and tip me in the right direction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I am in the UK, I know quite a lot about the engineering system in the US.

First, do an accredited degree; it will serve your career much better and give you room for lateral movement.

Second, choose a basic degree such as Mechanical Engineering with electronics or vice versa, with the right engineering sciences, vibrations and mathematical grounding; then perhaps an MSc in acoustics/sound engineering. The reason is that you should not narrow your choice of field at an early stage. There are many graduates in acoustics and sound production electronics who cannot find professional work as the industry is relatively small. Keep your interest in audio whilst at university and develop it in parallel.

I speak as a professional mechanical engineer and acoustician with more than 30 years of interest in audio and noise control.

Best of luck.

Old 17th September 2004, 12:52 PM   #10
Gregm is offline Gregm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
originally posted by fmak
First do an accredited degree; it will serve your career much better and give you room for lateral movement. (etc)
Wise words, sound advice advice (forgive the unintended puny pun). Having been in the job business for many years, I can second this.

Hide this!Advertise here!