Olympics Results!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This just in! Below are a selection of countries ordered by number of Olympic medals gained per country:

United States 102
Russia 92
China 63
Australia 49
Germany 48
Japan 37
France 33
Italy 31
Great Britain 30
Cuba 27
Netherlands 22
Spain 19
Canada 12
Denmark 8
Sweden 7
Belgium 3

Below are the same countries listed in order of medals per million people. Population estimates taken from the CIA Factbook (see, the CIA *is* good for something):

Australia 2.45
Cuba 2.45
Denmark 1.5
Netherlands 1.4
Sweden .78
Russia .64
Germany .59
France .55
Italy .53
Great Britain .50
Spain .48
Canada .38
United States .35
Belgium .33
Japan .29
China .05

Finally, below are the above relisted with their medals count per million people multiplied by the ratio of [US GDP per capita divided by Country GDP per capita (PPP)]. Figures are again taken from the CIA Factbook. Hey, you gotta know I would have found a way to put the US last on a list.

Cuba 33.1
Russia 4.9
Australia 3.2
Netherlands 1.9
Denmark 1.8
Sweden 1.1
Spain .82
Germany .81
France .76
Italy .75
Great Britain .68
Canada .48
Belgium .43
Japan .39
China .38
United States .35

Not as bad as all that...

These are the results for the 2004 Olympics for the 1st 20 countries ranked by Gold + number of medals.

The US didn't do that badly after all...

...................Gold/Silver/Bronze/Total
1 United States...35 39 29 103
2 China...............32 17 14 63
3 Russia.............27 27 38 92
4 Australia.........17 16 16 49
5 Japan.........16 9 12 37
6 Germany.....14 16 18 48
7 France........11 9 13 33
8 Italy...........10 11 11 32
9 Korea..........9 12 9 30
10 Great Britain..9 9 12 30
11 Cuba............9 7 11 27
12 Ukraine........9 5 9 23
13 Hungary.......8 6 3 17
14 Romania........8 5 6 19
15 Greece..........6 6 4 16
16 Norway.........5 0 1 6
17 Netherlands.....4 9 9 22
18 Brazil.................4 3 3 10
19 Sweden............4 1 2 7
20 Spain..................3 11 5 19

A total of 202 countries participated and apparently over 70 got medals.

It's also interesting to note that countries with relatively small populations managed to get quite a few medals...
Cheers

janneman said:
...so, how about a list of medals per 1 million inhabitants, to level the playing field, so to speak?

The second listing in my first post above gives medals per million persons. US ranks close to last for countries I listed. Countries I did not list were small countries that would have made US rank even closer to last had I listed them given, then, the heavier weight of more countries on top of the US. I then factored in an economic factor to crudely represent available cash to spend on Olympic training which put the US right on the bottom. Ah, statistics.

As if GDP has anything to do with genetic athleticism....

And as if our GDP has anything to do with "cash to train". For instance the Chinese 10m platform gold medal winner was "taken from her family at age 11 to train", while her U.S. competition took time off from her job, as a nurse...

Medal-count for Austin, Texas: 21
Gold: 11
Silver: 4
Bronze: 6

well, athletics has a lot to do with things which go on at the tails of a distribution.

these were quite good olympics to watch from the U.S. side of the pond since NBC (the TV Network) didn't broadcast all that "weepy" stuff which the babes want to hear about.

and how about that women's beach volleyball? the greatest spectator sport ever!!!

Upupa Epops said:
Why are you talking about ? Do you know any " gladiator ", which is DIY'er ? :D

As a matter of fact, some of us do. He even won a gold medal in jerk. I believe this is him...Last time I heard he was peddling some crap. Life sucks.

Attachments

• pd.jpg
    pd.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 88
Whoa, hey! Looking over the stats I posted I realised, with a little help from my friends, that I forgot to post standings of ...... THE HOST COUNTRY! I therefore offer rectification, if late. Let's see if the US beats Greece.

Recall the basic stat: MEDALS WON

US 103
Greece 16

The US is wayyy in the lead. But wait, that basic stat was then transformed into a representative MEDALS PER MILLION:

Greece 1.51
US .35

Whoa, where did the lead go?? The restated stat then was adjusted to MEDALS PER MILLION GDP FACTORED for a final, more definitive tally:

Greece 2.87
US .35

:captain: Guys, much as I admire fine gymnastic form (I was totally in love with Cathy Rigby when I was a teenager), I had to pull a couple of things out of this thread. Please don't post the more, um, appealing photos from the Olympics here.

/mod badge off

GDP and population have little to do with numbers of medals. Let's face it, most of the stuff in the Olympics is trash sports and we Americans just don't have time for that sort of thing. That's stuff more suitable for those funny little countries that we can't find on a map and where the women have unibrows. Real Sports are very under-represented.

No excuse, though, for our totally lame-o hoops squad.

SY said:
:captain: Guys, much as I admire fine gymnastic form (I was totally in love with Cathy Rigby when I was a teenager), I had to pull a couple of things out of this thread. Please don't post the more, um, appealing photos from the Olympics here.

/mod badge off

GDP and population have little to do with numbers of medals. Let's face it, most of the stuff in the Olympics is trash sports and we Americans just don't have time for that sort of thing. That's stuff more suitable for those funny little countries that we can't find on a map and where the women have unibrows. Real Sports are very under-represented.

Well, the classroom was certainly giggling while teacher was in the hallway.

SY said:
...and we Americans just don't have time for that sort of thing. That's stuff more suitable for those funny little countries that we can't find on a map...
Hah! Yanks wouldn't know what to do with a map of the world if it bit them on the bum! Evidence - the locations of U.S. diyers are listed as 'Location X' , not 'Location X, USA'. This is the country that has no .XX after the URL because there *are* no other countries. ;) ;) ;)

SY said:

Well, IMHO there' s no TRASH sport... every sport demands effort and commitment, regardless of which "funny little country" you come from...
BTW, it seems to me US were competing in almost all disciplines!

Besides that, I really would love if Olympics (or any other sport event) weren' t used to exacerbate political rivalries...

just my :2c:

Cheers,

Bruno

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.