Interstage coupling transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Everything you put in the signal path of an amplifier to a greater or lesser extent degrades the signal. This being the case, to what extent does the signal, or if you prefer, the "musicality" deteriorate when passed through a modern good quality interstage transformer. I am specifically *not* referring to output transformers here.

Of course back in the bad old days transformers gave way to RC coupling not just because of better performance for the same money, but more particularly, an acceptable result for less money. Some will point to the poor results from cheap transformers but if the tranny is cheap then the rest of the amplifier probably has more than it's fair share of shortcuts too.

So in a nutshell, how good is a "good" tranny, an ordinary one and a poor one. What do they sound like? Cost and fashion aside, do they have a proper place in a good amplifier given the simple way they can solve some otherwise difficult problems?

GP.

Hello Circlotron, I use a couple of el cheapo 1:1 car audio line level coupling transformers in one of my systems.
I use them to provide switchable polarity inversion, and find them to work quite satisfactorily.
Transformers require loading networks on primaries and secondaries to get them flat, and I believe Rupert Neve's work in this area is one of his claims to fame.
I have not tried expensive coupling transformers yet, so cannot comment, but pro-sound colleagues swear by them for sound quality and isolation.

Regards, Eric.

GP,

IS trannies are a wonderful way to isolate and low-Z-insert a bias voltage on the same time without any hassle.

TME, 1st class IS trannies do not worsen the sound, the alter or enhance it, depends how you look on them. Talking of top-notch stuff.

RC-coupling or Xfrmr coupling, i choose the latter if i can. I pay thru the nose, top-notch IS trannies ain't cheap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.