Claim your $1M from the Great Randi - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2004, 11:37 PM   #131
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, I read that patent. Would you care to see Stan Pons's patent on cold fusion? Or that goofy one for a faster-than-light antenna? Patents don't mean crap, and I've got enough of them to be able to say that with some confidence.

See, the thing about keeping an open mind is being able to let go when your cherished beliefs don't stand up to experimental verification. That's what distinguishes guys like Einstein from guys like Blondlot. Or Pons.
Old 24th August 2004, 11:46 PM   #132
diyAudio Member

Sy, Einstein's cherished beliefs, if that's a proper name for his speculations, did not stand up to experimental verification for decades for reason that the scientific community lacked proper verification tools for earlier times in question. A glance at the history of efforts to verify non-local effects --- perhaps the more outlandish of Einstein's speculations --- illustrates this process.

Patents don't prove anything. Nothing, actually, proves anything if Kant has anything to say on these matters.
Old 24th August 2004, 11:51 PM   #133
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by serengetiplains

Have you read the
Shakti patent?

Quite apart from that, if Doug Sax uses Shakti stones, who am I to argue? I mean, really.
WOW !

"If we can shatter the gravitic emission, we might be able to modulate the modular parallax and stabilize the magnetic particle!"

http://www.kokorozashi.org/products/Treknobabble/

For those unfortunate without a Mac;

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~jellis/babble/

/
Old 24th August 2004, 11:57 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Yes, I read that patent. Would you care to see Stan Pons's patent on cold fusion? Or that goofy one for a faster-than-light antenna? Patents don't mean crap

Quote:
Originally posted by TNT

WOW !

"If we can shatter the gravitic emission, we might be able to modulate the modular parallax and stabilize the magnetic particle!"
Guys, if you look carefully at my post, by saying Shakti has a patent I was merely responding to TNT's suggestion that if more companies patented their products their names would appear less in these pages. The implication of my post, which holds the meaning of my posting a reference to the patent, is that having a patent evidently doesn't preclude one's name from appearing in these pages. Need I also post a reference to a dictionary definition of implication?
Old 24th August 2004, 11:58 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

"Implication."
Old 25th August 2004, 12:00 AM   #136
diyAudio Member

I don't know about others, but I particularly like:

\Im`pli*ca"tion\, n. [L. implicatio: cf. F. implication.]

2. An implying, or that which is implied, but not expressed; an inference, or something which may fairly be understood, though not expressed in words.
Old 25th August 2004, 12:01 AM   #137
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

sp: My response was directed more at TNT than to you. Sorry for the confusion.

Don't get too narrow on Einstein; his work on Brownian motion and the photoelectric effect did not need to wait for verification; the stuff that did had the virtue of recognizing the correspondence principle. Same goes for his work on the statistical properties of bosons. If you like, substitute "Feynman" for Einstein- the late, great RF loved taking the steam out of science fakers.
Old 25th August 2004, 12:35 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

Yes, and my friend and associate, Jack Bybee worked as a consultant to the late Richard Feynman, and knew him personally. I want SY and Jack to have lunch together sometime. Might help. You never know. ;-)
Here we go again: First, someone wants measurements, then the independent measurements are discounted. Then, someone wants patents, and patents are discounted. This is a no win situation for anyone. Wake up everyone!
Old 25th August 2004, 01:58 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by john curl
Here we go again: First, someone wants measurements, then the independent measurements are discounted.
Much like how you discounted Bruno's independent measurements, yes?

se
Old 25th August 2004, 02:11 AM   #140
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Actually it was quite a wakeup to hear that Shakti Stones claim to increase gas mileage. Until now I kind of thought "there might be just something about them that works"

.... and now to hear the gas thing just makes me give up on them

I guess all people selling miracle milage increasers (and miracle manhood increasers) that you just bolt or attach to whatever (!), are not frauds, almost all are... It's just areas fraught with dubius claims. Of course they have dynomometer charts "proving it" Of course believers trot out the story about the Fish carb and how the oil companies bought out the patent/ruined the inventor.. Of course there are no dishonest dyno guys or garbage in/ garbage out dynos.

Any indication why the stone makes amps better AND increase fuel milage? It seems that the two fields would have little in common. I'l go check out the site again.

The fact the auto companies are spending BILLIONS on improving gas milage (being forced to by the governments- not that they would do it on their own) and they don't seem to be using this technology, is a pretty strong indication it is worthless...

Now there is a company that sells magnets that you tie onto your fuel lines to increase mileage. I wonder if they would work tied onto speaker cables- I'll bet I'd hear an improvement- but I'm a human and easily fooled.

Hm...... I think I'll keep a Shakti stone in my pocket and zip tie that magnet- oh never mind...

On the other hand, I DO believe that amps sound different and that JC makes good ones....

BUT, I think that if you are an electronics designer, and DON'T assume that you are sometimes being fooled, then you are making your job a lot harder...

Hide this!Advertise here!