Claim your $1M from the Great Randi - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2004, 09:26 PM   #121
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default oddball tweak gadgets

I'd be happy to independently test them, but as with the kilobuck hatracks and the $100 vial of universal goop, they actually want people to pay serious money for them. Thanks, but no. Any free samples will be happily examined.

Just remember who was the first to tout the orange Home Depot cables.
Old 24th August 2004, 09:36 PM   #122
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

JC, I did my homework and as much I do respect You, words from "the guy from Shakti" does not "impress" me. Regarding the hussle of dynoing cars I refere to these links ...

"Engine dyno testing has become something of a black art. "
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/986/

"I have a nice little side business repairing SuperFlow dynomometers, the
overwhelmingly dominant dyno in the US. ....... I personally attribute no credibility to differences less than 10 hp."
http://yarchive.net/car/dyno_accuracy.html

I have also some experiance in acredited measuring and the presented data and circumstances is in no way convincing.

I did examine, call me ignorant but not prejudice, please !

Best regards /
Old 24th August 2004, 09:42 PM   #123
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Geee....Just when I thought that was just an April fool....

Anyhow, there are plenty of "tweaks" around that do not cost an arm and a leg and can still make for an audible and worthwhile improvement.
For me personally, those that stayed in the system are the ones worth having....Not that I ever tried everything of course.

Cheers,
Old 24th August 2004, 09:47 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Default Free Samples

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Any free samples will be happily examined.
You mean like those free tasting samples from which Napa wineries?

Soundstring cable will give you a free sample (they did me). John Curl probably will not give you a free sample. The difference between the two seems an important matter of economics?
Old 24th August 2004, 09:52 PM   #125
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Actually, John probably would give me a free sample; we're pretty good friends and he has been quite generous with time and equipment. But what he makes are solid, well-engineered, reliable amplifiers. He doesn't make coat-racks or goop or magic rocks. Those guys haven't offered me anything to try yet.
Old 24th August 2004, 09:55 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Sy, what are you doing looking at coat racks and goop?
Old 24th August 2004, 09:57 PM   #127
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Default Re: oddball tweak gadgets

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
I'd be happy to independently test them,
But ARE YOU QUALIFIED to be an Audio Tester, in the same way you are (or not) for testing Wine? Surely we cannot have just anybody blind test Audio. I think that IF we employ such tests it should use testers of clearly established creditentials, who, at least when not having an "off day" can hear small differences in unfamilar audio systems reliably. I would suspect BTW that you may very well be required to remunerate such testers accordingly.

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
And at least the UK equivalent of the cable still sound like the junkiest cheap and nasty "speaker" cable sold at the same place. Of course, maybe the black printed stripe together with ton's of hype got people into believing it is actually a good sounding cable (which in at least any of the versions I can get and which lack the black stripe and are just orange it is not), what I do know is that it clashes with any decor I can think of and reliably makes my whole system sound rather pedestrian, with much of what makes the music come alive removed.

But of course unlike most people I MAY actually be qualified (by experience as sound engineer) to relatively quickly and reliably identify small sonic changes as well as their nature (improvement and in which area) and to not fall victim to the "new gear" syndrom (it sounds different and different is always "good")....

Sayonara
Old 24th August 2004, 10:13 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kuei Yang Wang
I would suspect BTW that you may very well be required to remunerate such testers accordingly.
Not an unimportant point! I'd like to know, but I suspect most sellers of tweak items are not suffering the weight of mounds of money from their sales.

Another factor to note in considering tweak products, among other sorts of products, is these products probably normally rely on easily copied innovations, so of course the manufacturer will not disclose the actual properties accounting for the way the item works, lending an artificial, but necessary, "mystique" to any descriptions of the item. Any such mystique, being unavoidable for obvious reasons, is perhaps unintended.
Old 24th August 2004, 10:23 PM   #129
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

A patent now and then would maybe make them appear more seldom in discussion threads like this. And we haven't started on the hallographs yet ;-)

this is fun !

/

Quote:
Originally posted by serengetiplains

Not an unimportant point! I'd like to know, but I suspect most sellers of tweak items are not suffering the weight of mounds of money from their sales.

Another factor to note in considering tweak products, among other sorts of products, is these products probably normally rely on easily copied innovations, so of course the manufacturer will not disclose the actual properties accounting for the way the item works, lending an artificial, but necessary, "mystique" to any descriptions of the item. Any such mystique, being unavoidable for obvious reasons, is perhaps unintended.
Old 24th August 2004, 10:29 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TNT
A patent now and then would maybe make them appear more seldom in discussion threads like this.
Have you read the
Shakti patent?

Quite apart from that, if Doug Sax uses Shakti stones, who am I to argue? I mean, really.

Hide this!Advertise here!