Claim your $1M from the Great Randi - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2004, 10:12 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by john curl

For example, Shakti Stones are microwave absorbers. There are published tests on what they absorb
Where is the test published?
Is it available on Internet?
Has them been tested by an independent/university/government laboratory?

Quote:

Are they useful? It most probably depends on where you place them in your audio system, AND whether there is the presence of microwave or high RFI energy in or about your audio system.
They way you people carry on, one would think that they are plastic 'rocks'.
Are there instructions from the manifacturer written expecially for the end user which explain a way to detect and measure the presence of microwave or high RFI energy in his/her system, the way to place them in the audio system, the way to detect and measure the end result in his/her system and/or some simple math to evaluate the usefulness of microwave absorbers in his/her systems?

Quote:

I read the 'white paper' on the Brilliant Pebbles and they are vibration absorbers.
Where is the white paper published?
Who edit it (an independent/university/government laboratory)?
Is it available on Internet?

Thanx
Old 22nd August 2004, 10:20 PM   #92
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
A wonderful name. It will be great if they would all choose pelican-related avatars, wouldn't it?
Not bad at all....

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
Your post will certainly ruffle some feathers. It will be sad if the Pelicanists remove it.
Well, what will happen will happen.

Click the image to open in full size.

Or as great discordian Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst once remarked: "In this world, there are two kinds of people -- those who Get It and those who Don't. If the meaning of this is not immediately obvious to you, count yourself as one of the latter. "

Sayonara
Old 22nd August 2004, 10:44 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kuei Yang Wang
Funny, quite a few years someone announced at a AES convention he had proven with a reasonable degree of certainty, in small scale and sample size double blind tests that speaker cables had audibly different properties. The poor sod who had actually gone and done his homework made the mistake to choose a significance level apropriate to the sample size (.2) and was promply savaged by the audio nazis for using such a low significance level and was forced to re-run his experiemnts with a significance level of .05 which (predictably BTW, after all, this is science and statistiscs) failed to show positive results.
I once did a coin-flipping experiment. I flipped the coin and each time I psychically willed it to come up heads. It came up heads 10 out of 10 times.

Quote:
It was this what I referred to when I pointed out that the Audio Pelicanists (I like that term, especially when used as a pejorative expression) had changed the goal posts every time when presented with a reasonable study that suggest that there was stinking to the heavens in the kingdom of denmark.
Were the goal posts moved or did the person you mention above make some erroneous assumptions as to where the goal posts actually were?

Quote:
So no, EVEN IF a suitable test would be published (enough cases where, actually) which would suggest that Audio Pelicanists are WRONG (which any sensible human already knows they are, not on the basis of any specific instance, but based on their iditio insistance that everything knowable is already known about audio) they will move the goalposts again and simply pelicanise the whole event.
I guess it depends on whose definition of "suitable" you're using.

Quote:
The actual problem is that (most of) the debunkers are actually fanatical adherents of a religion, not the openminded sceptics (eg ones who do not believe either that something is so or not and instead look for proof) they make themselves out to be, but agressive defenders of the orthodox true faith, who will stop at nothing lawfull and practical (including the deliberate production of severely flawed evidence then presented as fact) to ensure their faith is defended and imposed on others who do not share it.
The actual actual problem is that many of those on the other side of the fence are also fanatical adherence of a religion and will also do whatever they can to defend it.

That's the problem. Too damned many religious fanatics.

se
Old 22nd August 2004, 11:46 PM   #94
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Analog_sa, I've said it before to you and I'll say it again, with a badge on to make it an Official Policy Statement:

diyAudio.com moderators and admins do NOT censor or remove posts because of their technical content except for reasons of safety.

/badge off

Whether I agree with you or disagree, there is NOTHING germane to the discussion that is out of bounds. OK? So please stop suggesting that someone is going to pull your posts because of a disagreement about its merits. We just do not do that here. Unlike forums run by the insecure, there are no XXX-free zones, where xxx is any sort of technical term.
Old 23rd August 2004, 12:12 AM   #95
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
That's the problem. Too damned many religious fanatics.
In which case two camps of fanatics can be observed already...

Why is it that every time there's something out there that's a little beyond what's readily available in schoolbooks for all to fall back on it either gets dismissed out of hand or invariably qualifies as voodoo?

I'd like to have a plausible explanation for all that stuff I don't yet understand whenever possible but when I notice time and time again that it somehow improves my system I only wonder why it works and what it is it does hoping one day I'll understand why.

In the meantime I just try to enjoy it as much as possible...
If I can do that, why can't we all do the same?

Cheers,
Old 23rd August 2004, 12:19 AM   #96
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
promply savaged by the audio nazis
Godwin's Law! Godwin's Law!
Old 23rd August 2004, 04:14 AM   #97
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kuei Yang Wang

It was this what I referred to when I pointed out that the Audio Pelicanists (I like that term, especially when used as a pejorative expression)
LOL, the Pelicanist is question can really throw things for a loop if he decided to change his avatar right about now.

Future readers of this thread, (and these threads do get reread long after they end), will think that Kuei has lost his mind.
Old 23rd August 2004, 04:46 AM   #98
diyAudio Member

Default sample size

You and a few buddies is not a statistically significant sample size. Set up a double blind test with hundreds of participants and you might find those pair of true golden ears.
Old 23rd August 2004, 06:03 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

Diy, why don't you do a Google search and find out for yourself. Just go to Google, the put in 'shakti audio'. For the 'brilliant pebbles' maybe the same technique will work also.
Old 23rd August 2004, 06:26 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

Default Re: sample size

Quote:
Originally posted by GringoAudio
You and a few buddies is not a statistically significant sample size. Set up a double blind test with hundreds of participants and you might find those pair of true golden ears.
Uh, sample size and statistical significance aren't one and the same. At least where simply establishing audibility is concerned. You don't need a large sample size to establish audibility. All you need is one person.

What you do need however is a significant number of trials to get a sufficiently high level of confidence. The fewer the number of trials, the greater the probability that any statisitcally significant results may just be statistical anomalies, like my coin coming up heads 10 times out of 10.

se

Hide this!Advertise here!