Claim your $1M from the Great Randi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
oddball tweak gadgets

I'd be happy to independently test them, but as with the kilobuck hatracks and the $100 vial of universal goop, they actually want people to pay serious money for them. Thanks, but no. Any free samples will be happily examined.

Just remember who was the first to tout the orange Home Depot cables.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
JC, I did my homework and as much I do respect You, words from "the guy from Shakti" does not "impress" me. Regarding the hussle of dynoing cars I refere to these links ...

"Engine dyno testing has become something of a black art. "
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/986/

"I have a nice little side business repairing SuperFlow dynomometers, the
overwhelmingly dominant dyno in the US. ....... I personally attribute no credibility to differences less than 10 hp."
http://yarchive.net/car/dyno_accuracy.html

I have also some experiance in acredited measuring and the presented data and circumstances is in no way convincing.

I did examine, call me ignorant but not prejudice, please !

Best regards /

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Geee....Just when I thought that was just an April fool....

Anyhow, there are plenty of "tweaks" around that do not cost an arm and a leg and can still make for an audible and worthwhile improvement.
For me personally, those that stayed in the system are the ones worth having....Not that I ever tried everything of course.

Cheers,;)

Actually, John probably would give me a free sample; we're pretty good friends and he has been quite generous with time and equipment. But what he makes are solid, well-engineered, reliable amplifiers. He doesn't make coat-racks or goop or magic rocks. Those guys haven't offered me anything to try yet.

Re: oddball tweak gadgets

Konnichiwa,

SY said:
I'd be happy to independently test them,

But ARE YOU QUALIFIED to be an Audio Tester, in the same way you are (or not) for testing Wine? Surely we cannot have just anybody blind test Audio. I think that IF we employ such tests it should use testers of clearly established creditentials, who, at least when not having an "off day" can hear small differences in unfamilar audio systems reliably. I would suspect BTW that you may very well be required to remunerate such testers accordingly.

SY said:

And at least the UK equivalent of the cable still sound like the junkiest cheap and nasty "speaker" cable sold at the same place. Of course, maybe the black printed stripe together with ton's of hype got people into believing it is actually a good sounding cable (which in at least any of the versions I can get and which lack the black stripe and are just orange it is not), what I do know is that it clashes with any decor I can think of and reliably makes my whole system sound rather pedestrian, with much of what makes the music come alive removed.

But of course unlike most people I MAY actually be qualified (by experience as sound engineer) to relatively quickly and reliably identify small sonic changes as well as their nature (improvement and in which area) and to not fall victim to the "new gear" syndrom (it sounds different and different is always "good")....

Sayonara

Kuei Yang Wang said:
I would suspect BTW that you may very well be required to remunerate such testers accordingly.

Not an unimportant point! I'd like to know, but I suspect most sellers of tweak items are not suffering the weight of mounds of money from their sales.

Another factor to note in considering tweak products, among other sorts of products, is these products probably normally rely on easily copied innovations, so of course the manufacturer will not disclose the actual properties accounting for the way the item works, lending an artificial, but necessary, "mystique" to any descriptions of the item. Any such mystique, being unavoidable for obvious reasons, is perhaps unintended.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A patent now and then would maybe make them appear more seldom in discussion threads like this. And we haven't started on the hallographs yet ;-)

this is fun !

/

serengetiplains said:

Not an unimportant point! I'd like to know, but I suspect most sellers of tweak items are not suffering the weight of mounds of money from their sales.

Another factor to note in considering tweak products, among other sorts of products, is these products probably normally rely on easily copied innovations, so of course the manufacturer will not disclose the actual properties accounting for the way the item works, lending an artificial, but necessary, "mystique" to any descriptions of the item. Any such mystique, being unavoidable for obvious reasons, is perhaps unintended.

Yes, I read that patent. Would you care to see Stan Pons's patent on cold fusion? Or that goofy one for a faster-than-light antenna? Patents don't mean crap, and I've got enough of them to be able to say that with some confidence.

See, the thing about keeping an open mind is being able to let go when your cherished beliefs don't stand up to experimental verification. That's what distinguishes guys like Einstein from guys like Blondlot. Or Pons.

Sy, Einstein's cherished beliefs, if that's a proper name for his speculations, did not stand up to experimental verification for decades for reason that the scientific community lacked proper verification tools for earlier times in question. A glance at the history of efforts to verify non-local effects --- perhaps the more outlandish of Einstein's speculations --- illustrates this process.

Patents don't prove anything. Nothing, actually, proves anything if Kant has anything to say on these matters.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
SY said:
Yes, I read that patent. Would you care to see Stan Pons's patent on cold fusion? Or that goofy one for a faster-than-light antenna? Patents don't mean crap

TNT said:

WOW !

"If we can shatter the gravitic emission, we might be able to modulate the modular parallax and stabilize the magnetic particle!"

Guys, if you look carefully at my post, by saying Shakti has a patent I was merely responding to TNT's suggestion that if more companies patented their products their names would appear less in these pages. The implication of my post, which holds the meaning of my posting a reference to the patent, is that having a patent evidently doesn't preclude one's name from appearing in these pages. Need I also post a reference to a dictionary definition of implication?

sp: My response was directed more at TNT than to you. Sorry for the confusion.

Don't get too narrow on Einstein; his work on Brownian motion and the photoelectric effect did not need to wait for verification; the stuff that did had the virtue of recognizing the correspondence principle. Same goes for his work on the statistical properties of bosons. If you like, substitute "Feynman" for Einstein- the late, great RF loved taking the steam out of science fakers.

Yes, and my friend and associate, Jack Bybee worked as a consultant to the late Richard Feynman, and knew him personally. I want SY and Jack to have lunch together sometime. Might help. You never know. ;-)
Here we go again: First, someone wants measurements, then the independent measurements are discounted. Then, someone wants patents, and patents are discounted. This is a no win situation for anyone. Wake up everyone!

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Actually it was quite a wakeup to hear that Shakti Stones claim to increase gas mileage. Until now I kind of thought "there might be just something about them that works"

.... and now to hear the gas thing just makes me give up on them

I guess all people selling miracle milage increasers (and miracle manhood increasers) that you just bolt or attach to whatever (!), are not frauds, almost all are... It's just areas fraught with dubius claims. Of course they have dynomometer charts "proving it" Of course believers trot out the story about the Fish carb and how the oil companies bought out the patent/ruined the inventor.. Of course there are no dishonest dyno guys or garbage in/ garbage out dynos.

Any indication why the stone makes amps better AND increase fuel milage? It seems that the two fields would have little in common. I'l go check out the site again.

The fact the auto companies are spending BILLIONS on improving gas milage (being forced to by the governments- not that they would do it on their own) ;) and they don't seem to be using this technology, is a pretty strong indication it is worthless...

Now there is a company that sells magnets that you tie onto your fuel lines to increase mileage. I wonder if they would work tied onto speaker cables- I'll bet I'd hear an improvement- but I'm a human and easily fooled.

Hm...... I think I'll keep a Shakti stone in my pocket and zip tie that magnet- oh never mind...
:D

On the other hand, I DO believe that amps sound different and that JC makes good ones....

BUT, I think that if you are an electronics designer, and DON'T assume that you are sometimes being fooled, then you are making your job a lot harder...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.