Does anybody work in the industry/related industry? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2004, 03:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to eRiCdWoNg
Default Does anybody work in the industry/related industry?

Just wondering what if your profession is also part of your hobby. Does anybody work in the consumer electronics industry (or related, such as professional audio/video)? I have an entry level job at one of the loudspeaker companies, and so far its great. I dont mind coming to work at all to be around speakers all day. Anybody else? Or is your profession totally unrelated to audio?
Old 17th August 2004, 03:51 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I decided to leave the industry for two reasons. One, was that it was becoming too much of a job and less fun than I wanted it to be. Two, was that I wanted three squares a day and I was going hungry as a commissioned sales agent.

The speaker building part was and still is a love. For it to remain a love, I had to get a real job and DIY on the weekends.

I hope your position keeps you happy and doesn't grate on you over the years.

Cal
Old 18th August 2004, 07:54 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Right after University i did 5 years working in a hifi store... then a year in Pro Audio... that wasn't paying well, so i did 20 years of computers, but that got tedious, now i'm generating most of my income recycling hifi and building a few speakers, having fun, but poor again

dave
Old 18th August 2004, 07:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to eRiCdWoNg
Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
I decided to leave the industry for two reasons. One, was that it was becoming too much of a job and less fun than I wanted it to be. Two, was that I wanted three squares a day and I was going hungry as a commissioned sales agent.

The speaker building part was and still is a love. For it to remain a love, I had to get a real job and DIY on the weekends.

I hope your position keeps you happy and doesn't grate on you over the years.

Cal

Me too I hope so as well. I tried other industries, I did banking for a little bit but got sick of it real fast. I also worked commission in the industry as well, it was fun the first 2 years then I burned out. I also thought about pro audio and went as far as to sign up for a tech school to do live sound, but I was not prepared for the "pay your dues" industry of working late hours, lifting heavy equipment, being on the road for extended times, working nights and weekends etc. We'll see where my current job takes me though.
Old 25th August 2004, 07:41 AM   #5
trampas is offline trampas  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been in and out of the audio/video industry.

Started as a car audio installer of premium competition systems, that lasted a couple years. Then into home theatre, another couple there.

Then into subwoofer sales. I bought a company that stopped producing, and had a good name behind it, so i continued w/ brisk sales for a few years of high quality stand-alone subwoofers.

Now i'm into the hobbyist thing... and i don't have alot of energy left to really put into it as much as i'd like to...

Loudspeakers in general will always be one of my most favorite hobbys though.
Old 25th August 2004, 08:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Artmaster Send a message via MSN to Artmaster
I've never been in that industry, couse it means working for owner, make loudspeaker for him and using his ideas.
but all of us wish to DIY, not for other, it's creation process, one's own master also....
since you get order for work loudspeaker, you're loose excitement as well. it's just job...

Hide this!Advertise here!