Does anybody work in the industry/related industry?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering what if your profession is also part of your hobby. Does anybody work in the consumer electronics industry (or related, such as professional audio/video)? I have an entry level job at one of the loudspeaker companies, and so far its great. I dont mind coming to work at all to be around speakers all day. Anybody else? Or is your profession totally unrelated to audio?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I decided to leave the industry for two reasons. One, was that it was becoming too much of a job and less fun than I wanted it to be. Two, was that I wanted three squares a day and I was going hungry as a commissioned sales agent.

The speaker building part was and still is a love. For it to remain a love, I had to get a real job and DIY on the weekends.

I hope your position keeps you happy and doesn't grate on you over the years.

Cal

Cal Weldon said:
I decided to leave the industry for two reasons. One, was that it was becoming too much of a job and less fun than I wanted it to be. Two, was that I wanted three squares a day and I was going hungry as a commissioned sales agent.

The speaker building part was and still is a love. For it to remain a love, I had to get a real job and DIY on the weekends.

I hope your position keeps you happy and doesn't grate on you over the years.

Cal

Me too I hope so as well. I tried other industries, I did banking for a little bit but got sick of it real fast. I also worked commission in the industry as well, it was fun the first 2 years then I burned out. I also thought about pro audio and went as far as to sign up for a tech school to do live sound, but I was not prepared for the "pay your dues" industry of working late hours, lifting heavy equipment, being on the road for extended times, working nights and weekends etc. We'll see where my current job takes me though.

I've been in and out of the audio/video industry.

Started as a car audio installer of premium competition systems, that lasted a couple years. Then into home theatre, another couple there.

Then into subwoofer sales. I bought a company that stopped producing, and had a good name behind it, so i continued w/ brisk sales for a few years of high quality stand-alone subwoofers.

Now i'm into the hobbyist thing... and i don't have alot of energy left to really put into it as much as i'd like to... :xeye:

Loudspeakers in general will always be one of my most favorite hobbys though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.