Relay acting funny

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
I built this http://users.swing.be/edwinpaij/module_de_protection_cc_pour_hp.htm circuit. It worked the first time I switched it on. But there is a small problem. Sometimes, the relays (Goodsky make, 12V coil) do not switch properly and there is the constant crr-rrr-rrrr sound. A small tap on the relays and they work okay. I think that the relays are not in a good shape though they are brand new.
The above circuit uses a power supply of +/- 12V. I am supplying about +/- 10V. Could this cause the relays not to switch properly?
Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Vivek

Well, using a too low voltage is probably not a good idea. After all, the force excerted by the solenoid is proportional to the current through it, which in turn depends on the voltage across it, right?

It's also possible that the realy is using enough current to cause the power supply to sag, with instability as a consequence.

Rune

Turning the relay is likely to affect the required force to reliably close the contacts. With insufficient voltage, that could be enough.

Measure the voltage across the relay coil to make sure the voltage is close to the supply voltage. There's always the possibility that the transistor in series with the coil isn't fully conducting.

Rune

You should try to get a datasheet for the relay. Normal relays must have 9-10 V if they are 12 V and 16-18 V for a 24 Volts. Some high efficiency relays can handle twice their nominal voltage without any problems.

A normal relay can handle at least 150% of nominal voltage. Just check the temperature of the coil. It should be less than 60-70 deg C.

If you happen to have a rather normal type, 8 V is too little to achieve max contact pressure.

I suggest that you first check the voltage across the T5. You should have less than 500 mV. Down to 100 mV is possible. Decrease R12 to 4k7 or 5k6. If you can increase your power supply voltage, this is the best.

(My company sells relays so I know some... not everything though :) )

I measured the voltage across the coil and it is about 7.3V. I suppose that is too low. I had a 9-0-9V transformer but the rectified output was in the region of +/- 15V. I was not sure if 15V would be okay for a 12V coil and that is why I used a 6-0-6V transformer. Maybe I should use the 9-0-9V transformer.

Just a guess: You measured the transformer output voltage with no load?

A transformer always have a load dependent output - comparable to an ideal voltage source followed by a resistance, R_internal. A bigger transformer will notmally have a smaller R_internal, and hence less load regulation.
Always load a transformer when measuring the output voltage.

Jennice

I have a bridge rectifer with four diodes and two capacitors to make up the split supply. The centre tap of the transformer secondary goes to the connection between the two capacitors to make up the ground. A straightforward rectifier. The transformer is 9-0-9V. With the power supply connected to the PCBs and the power on, the + to - voltage on the boards reads 22V. The + to ground and - to ground reads 11.1V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.