New computer motherboard with integrated tube amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2002, 11:40 AM   #11
NeM is offline NeM  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Hoax?

Quote:
Originally posted by dice45
All,

some remarks i read on the JoeNet suggest this could a gorgeous hoax.
One guy ordered hi purchasing agant to buy and he promised to report, should the purchasing agent have success with it.

Me has no idea about how to generate the high supply voltage on the motherboard in a sane way but i must admit i would loathe having a multiplierchanin usng diodes and capacitors for that and i also would loathe to have a DC/DC converter for that. Best thing would be to have a an insulation trannie and use 110 or 220V from the wall outlet. But what willl the UL guy say to that?

The more i muse about it, the more it seems to be a hoax.
I don't think Aopen would lie...
Old 5th June 2002, 01:49 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default higher voltage

C&D technologies (used to be Newport) makes two converters that could be used to do this (5 or 12V input; 72 V output).

(http://www.cdncl.com/cd/products/dc_converters/nmt.asp)

I've been itching to get some of these, anyways.

Matt
Old 5th June 2002, 02:25 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

The thing has great chic value for sure, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if just one triode stage can iron out the supposed evils of all the upstream solid state doodads and digits.

If I ever bought one it would be for the purpose of making my friends smile, because it is undoubtedly the coolest thing this side of ENIAC, but for good sound? Hmmm...... we'll see.

GP.
Old 5th June 2002, 05:24 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

As for François' comment about opening up your computer each year, my machine lives open, and most computer enthusiasts open their computers once a day, or once a week, so that shouldnt be a problem...
Old 5th June 2002, 05:52 PM   #15
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hmm... Tubes on the motherboard... Anyone up to doing it themselves? I've replaced half the components on my motherboard, adding tubes shouldn't be too much of a problem (except for the lack of board space ). But this is really a cool thing, and well AOpen is a solid company, they've been making good boards for years and my fathers work (government) always buys their stuff, so they don't seem like the kind of guys that'd put up a hoax.
Old 5th June 2002, 06:33 PM   #16
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

John,
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnR
You don't necessarily need huge voltages to run a tube, 35-40V will do it.
yes, there are tubes running at those voltages but the pixes clearly show a 6922 which is a special version of ECC88 or 6DJ8. Which needs about 80 to 100V at the plate. And then, unless you have a CCS as plate load, you need another 50 to 100 V across the plate load.
Big fun!
Or it is a standard cathode follower. Well, a cathode follower cannot deterioate alltoomuch what is coming from the sound chip anyway, just for fashion i do not need a tube.

But case this is no hoax and the JoeNet buddy's purchasing agent succeeds in getting AOpen to admit they have this MB and are willing to sell it, i could feel tempted to join the toobz crowd ordering one!.
Old 5th June 2002, 06:46 PM   #17
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Actually AOpen states they use a Maxim 668 DC-DC voltage converter to get to 300 V for the tube which is a SOVTEK 6922 it seems. The also use Rel Multicap caps and cardas (!) wire in strategic places (it does sound a bit like a joke doesn't it?).

It is a pretty cool thing but I doubt many shops will stock them. Supposedly it was the product manager that in the states that came up with the idea and they were susprised by the sound quality and decided to launch it...

Most people here I gather would probably have preferred a AX4B-533AX1 (dreams do come true?) before AX4B-533Tube since it has an Aleph-X output stage delivering some 5 W of pure Pass sound and that off the normal PC supply..

If that product manager had only known about Pass Labs...

Time to write to AOpen...

/UrSV
Old 5th June 2002, 07:12 PM   #18
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

I just wonder how it'll sound running of a switching power suply...

Hide this!Advertise here!