Moving Day is fast approaching. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2004, 09:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Moving Day is fast approaching.

Well I am moving 2400kms on friday and driving a cruddy old UHAUL all the way while towing my toyota matrix.

It is surprising how hard it is to move some of this audio and electronics stuff.

For instance, all my test gear, oscilloscope and the like, I have no equipment specific packaging for this stuff nor do I have any decent boxes for my projects past and present.

I briefly considered going to one of the companies that box stuff up for a fee, but have you seen their fees?

I am infinitely paranoid that something is gonna get destroyed, I am boxing some stuff with pillows and some stuff with those styrofoam peanuts but I keep imagining that stuff shifting out of the way and the face plate of one of my amps that I worked so hard on, getting scuffed, scratched or bent.

I can't fathom doing this with a bunch of tube amps, ack the stress.
Old 27th July 2004, 09:58 PM   #2
Lusso5 is offline Lusso5  United States
diyAudio Member

Where are you moving to?

I say get a box of bubble-wrap, wrap them up, and pack it all in your Matrix. Plus if anything happens, you can make a claim on your auto insurance (for contents), in addition to any other supplemental insurance you may have took out for the move.
Old 27th July 2004, 10:36 PM   #3
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I often ship audio equipment internationally, and use an inner wrap of bubble film followed by a layer of 25mm expanded polystyrene (from builders' merchants, sold as wall insulation), finally packed in a strong corrugated carton.
This system usually survives the best efforts of the shippers!
Old 27th July 2004, 10:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lusso5
Where are you moving to?

From Ontario Canada to Saskatchewan Canada.

Quote:
I say get a box of bubble-wrap, wrap them up, and pack it all in your Matrix. Plus if anything happens, you can make a claim on your auto insurance (for contents), in addition to any other supplemental insurance you may have took out for the move.
That is actually a really good idea! I'll just fold down the rear seats and fill her up, we will however leave the front seats empty just in case something happens to the UHAUL (not uncommon!).

Thanks!
Old 27th July 2004, 10:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dnsey
I often ship audio equipment internationally, and use an inner wrap of bubble film followed by a layer of 25mm expanded polystyrene (from builders' merchants, sold as wall insulation), finally packed in a strong corrugated carton.
This system usually survives the best efforts of the shippers!

My biggest worry are the people that will be helping us when we reach our destination, people try hard and have the best intentions but "accidents" happen and when they do I have to suffer the loss.

Thanks for the ideas.

Hide this!Advertise here!