Active speaker system switcher - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2004, 02:18 AM   #1
AAM-Pro is offline AAM-Pro  Australia
diyAudio Member

Question Active speaker system switcher

Hi All,
I have been trying to find a switching unit so I can connect up to 10 pairs of active (powered) studio reference monitors for our display and no luck so far.
All I need is the incoming stereo signal to have switching capability to any pair I select. I thought of maybe building a line splitter and just putting switches in line, but this will cause obvious problems.
The unit would have to turn off the current pair when the next pair is selected.
Event Electronics used to make a unit, but I can't find one opr the circiut for it. The other brands available are far too expensive.
Does anyone have any suggestions, web links or circuit ideas.

Thanks
Old 24th July 2004, 09:08 AM   #2
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Do you want switching one stereo signal to one of 10 active speaker (rest of them are in mute)?
Old 24th July 2004, 06:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

this unit from HP (3488A) is quite inexpensive -- and the seller is in Australia -- it is programmed over the HPIB (Hewlett Packard Interface Bus) so you could control it with a National Instruments GPIB card and a laptop -- there are many options available.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
the units typically go for $40 to $100 in the US -- although they were around $3000 when new -- part of the fallout from the US Telecom/Tech Bubble. This particular one has 5 of the the 44474A 16-Channel Digital I/O, TTL compatible for controlling relays etc.

Programming one of these is like programming in QBasic or BASICA. -- very simple. You can control anything (except your wife) with them.
Old 30th July 2004, 03:59 AM   #4
AAM-Pro is offline AAM-Pro  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default HP Suggestion

I have seen that system on the net. Unfortunately, we did not intend to have a computer style switcher and it is well out of the budget.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 30th July 2004, 04:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What's wrong with a 10 position rotary switch?

Hide this!Advertise here!