For Sale: Organically powered speakers (they run on snake oil !)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The principle is sound. At university a fellow student tried to make such a thing using two tweeters running into the ultrasonic range.

Unfortunately these people have dressed it up somewhat.

The technical description is half-true, half prime bs. What actually happens is the two beams of ultrasound are focused at a point and they interfere to create a multiplexing action which results in the difference of the two signals being emitted from the point of coincidence.

The range is very limited and bandwidth and SPL nowhere near dynamic transducers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Franklin said:
This technique and others are the property of American Technology Corporation

I know they claim that, but people have been experimenting with similar tech it for some time. In 1999 i heard a Sennheiser demo of this... it had a very "fingernails on a blackboard" quality to it, and made me feel very uncomfortable.... my friend asked the question about where all the hi-powered microwave energy was going...

dave

Trying to claim a patent on a natural phenomenon, in this case what happens when two ultrasonic sound waves beat together in air and release samples of their sum and difference frequencies as a result is just as presumptuous as getting a patent on the freezing temperature of water. Can you imagine how that will save the cost of operating pro hockey when the patent on freezing water runs out? :D Anything in the bar served 'on the rocks' should go down in price too! :smash: Gimme a break!

Still puzzled ...

I am surprised to find out that there is anything to this concept.

I think their terminology is part of what makes me think it had no basis in reality. I would interpret the the term 'hypersonic' to imply the signal travels faster than sound, which doesn't seem very likely.

Seems like it would be extremely sensitive to small changes in listening position. Wouldn't the 'sweet spot' be approximately 1 to 2 centimeters in size ?

Thanks to those who provided additional insight.

Frank

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.