Need to cool masive ammounts of heat? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2004, 07:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Default Need to cool masive ammounts of heat?

This looks quite promising, though it'd look funny in an amp: evaporative water cooler. Basically, works just like a nuclear plant cooling chimney. It simple, easy to build, and can cool massive ammounts of power easily. Won't look very good in the living room though...

I'm interested in... umm.. "esoteric" ways of cooling. In any case, i'm about to spend a couple hundred in heatsinks so i'll probably end up cooling BJT's the old fashion way, but these weird approaches interest me.

Guess no one has tried anything similar eh?
Old 17th July 2004, 07:08 PM   #2
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

You might want to look into 'heat pumps' as a good way to remove the heat. They are essentially a tube filled with a refrigerant gas that has the heat source on one end and a bunch of fins on the other to get rid of the heat. NAD and Luxman have used them among others.
Old 18th July 2004, 12:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markp
You might want to look into 'heat pumps' as a good way to remove the heat. They are essentially a tube filled with a refrigerant gas that has the heat source on one end and a bunch of fins on the other to get rid of the heat. NAD and Luxman have used them among others.
I had little luck finding prices for these, any idea on how much they run for? What atracted me from the evaporative device it's that it gives a terrific performance for very little money, in adition of being an unusual design.
Old 18th July 2004, 01:58 AM   #4
Banned

problem with boiling water to cool the transistors is the case will be > 100C.

Cheap way for loads of heat dissipation would be mounting transistors on one of these: http://www.aircoline.gr/English/epro...ing3/Kermi.jpg

you fill with water and depending on size it will be good for some hundred to thousends Watt at ~ 60C
Old 18th July 2004, 03:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Bong's actually cool alot better than radiators when used properly. They work sorta like a shower, the water coming out of the head isn't 100c but it still steams up the room without an exhaust fan.
They work remarkably well and can operate in some circumstances below ambient temperatures.
Old 18th July 2004, 06:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Two concens; the water cycle is open to the enviroment; that means algae and bacteria clogging the flow if the water's not treated, and, working by heat release via evaporation, water will drain in the long run, which is a pain in the ***. Still, the performance just can't be beat.

The radiator idea is intriguing... you mean that just by filling it with water and hooking transistors to it (drilling a radiator or soldering a metal tab would be requiered) would work? It could at reasonable temperatures, but i don't know how much power we're talking about here...
Old 18th July 2004, 08:20 AM   #7
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Quote:
Originally posted by till
problem with boiling water to cool the transistors is the case will be > 100C.
You are never actually boiling the water, just raising it's temperature a little and letting the natural evaporative process take it's course in the optimum environment provided by the cooling tower.
Old 18th July 2004, 10:40 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
The radiator idea is intriguing... you mean that just by filling it with water and hooking transistors to it (drilling a radiator or soldering a metal tab would be requiered) would work? It could at reasonable temperatures, but i don't know how much power we're talking about here...
yes, thats the idea. i allready have a raditor here. i would mount the transistors only on one side, for a circle flow inside the radiator could appear.

for the amount of heat you could cool this way, the manufacturer gives specs at some temperature differences for them. i think its also possible to glue the transistors to the surfaces, so no drilling would be necessary
Old 18th July 2004, 10:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by till
yes, thats the idea. i allready have a raditor here. i would mount the transistors only on one side, for a circle flow inside the radiator could appear.
Sounds good... how much did you paid for the radiators?
Old 18th July 2004, 10:42 PM   #10
Banned

i do not pay anything for them as i have a friend who is in that business. So i take surplus of his business. But i fear this will help you not much unless you are happy with something like a 400*500mm radiator, as i doubt we will manage to send a larger on over the atlantic...

Hide this!Advertise here!