Need to cool masive ammounts of heat?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi TwoSpoons,

i agree with all.
For fluids both thermal conductivity and specific heat of water are hard to beat.
I considered integrating heatsinks in concrete/stone for thermal conductivity reasons, the downsides are obvious.

Thermal conductivity for thermal oil is less than 1/4 th compared to water, specific heat =1.96 compared to 4.19 for water.
Using thermal oil as a heat carrier means higher velocities or greater volume.

I designed a tanker for transporting liquid sulphur, the heating installation required massive quantities of thermal oil and stainless steel piping. Overheated steam is way superior but pressure is a downside.

The upsides of thermal oil are that it need not be toxic, is not corrosive and i can get lots of it free too.
I prefer combining electronics and oil instead of water, one time long ago water from the central heating radiator accidentally splashed into my color tv and blew the thing up.
A huge child's trauma, i assure you.

On my Chevrolet i use a separate oil cooler for the transmission, it is capable of taking tremendous heat from the tranny with only a square foot of cooling surface and 2 gallons of Dextron II.
Maybe i like it greasy :clown:

Hi Brian,

thats the one.
It works wonders on a 5500lbs, 400hp small block equiped truck.
After rebuilding the TH700 when i fried it i am thoroughly impressed by the ingenuity of automatic trannies.

www.autopart.com fortunatelly still takes orders from abroad, and i have a K1500 truck girlfriend in Houston west.
JC whitney does not ship abroad anymore, thanks to the difficulties with the F.......G European community.
A lot of others stopped shipping orders abroad too because of that.
A customs guy i spoke on the phone reacted offended that i had the nerve to buy parts from a country that broke the agreements with the ec, i should buy my parts in a european country.
I asked him if i should order Chevrolet parts in Turkey ?

When rebuilding an auto transmission and observing burnt friction plates, forward and reverse gears, it shows how much heat is developed in a gearbox.
Even the torqueconverter was totally wrecked, i admit i was doing 115 mph at the time it blew.

I am making an active system with 8 NP Aleph amplifiers, going to call it V8.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.