DBX DS series gear - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2004, 07:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to eRiCdWoNg
Default DBX DS series gear

...I just got some dbx ds series gear from an estate auction. Ive read all about this 80's stuff but never had any although some people called it junk, but I just had to try it. Anyhow, none of this stuff had manuals so I'm playing around in the dark with it. I tried to read up as much as I could on them before I bought them, but now that I actually have them in my possession I have lots of questions and stuff for discussion.

One piece, the 3bx-DS this was the piece I was mainly interested in. I think the DS is the last of this series and also includes the "impact restoration" which isnt featured on the other units.

I have 2 very different systems. one is my accurate and not-so loud mid hi-fi audiophile system, its got Magnepan MG3A speakers, Van Alstine preamp, AudioControl Richter Scale III crossover and a Adcom amps.

My other system is my DJ/PA system with mostly pro audio gear. Pioneer DJ CD players, Stanton SMX501 mixer, EV G115 tops driven by an older AB international amp and EV SB180 subs driven by a Crown MA5000VZ thru a XR2001 Ashly x-over. No turntables yet but I figured if this was made for tuntables then it would be awesome on my Dj system.

I bought this unit mainly to give some kick to compressed recordings and additional slam particularly on the DJ system. Does anybody know what the "pre" and "post" buttons do?

Also included I have the 120x-DS subharmonic synthesizer. It sure seems to work pretty good on club music for adding huge slam. After hooking it up it has more of an effect on the home stereo then the DJ system. Probably cause the DJ system's subharmonics arent that great. Also my DJ mixer has an effects loop, but it is the send/return style, I dont think it is "insert" style, which is what these units really need. Im gonna do some playing around to see if I can modify that effects loop to become an "insert" loop instead.

I also have 2 other units, the 400xg selector and the 224x-DS noise reducer. I might be able to use the 400XG as it seems like its very versitile but the noise reducer I dont think I have any use for.

Sooo..... does anybody have any manuals at all for these or tell me more about using them?

Hide this!Advertise here!